Color Genetics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopntailrabbitry

Reaction score
I just had a litter yesterday and I haveno idea how I gotten a white kit,who knows it might be a REW or a BEWwho knows but I will find out in a few days.

Anyways, is it possible to get that color of rabbit with aCharlie Fawn and somekind of seal? Check out my site to see the parentshttp://geocities.com/hopntailrabbitry/Dam:Ginger and Sire:Toby and they are Holland Lops.

Please reply to this I need lots of info. :)

it is very possible to get a REW or a BEW kit out of any mix (well, moreso the REW then the BEW)

both the REW and BEW genes can be carried down generations.

i once had a litter out of a tri color buck and a broken fawn doe,neither had a REW on the 3 generation pedigree. . .but out popped a REWin their first litter!

although, with it only being born yesterday, the color can be hard to tell untill about 1 weeks worth of fur is on the baby. .

and then even if it does grow white fur, you have no way of telling forsure until the rabbit is 2 weeks and has it's eyes open. . .i have seenfrosty's appear REW but the eyes and a light tipping to the fur. . .

Thanks, I'm really not to sure either.Even though I have been breeding Holland Lop since last August. I stillhave no idea of how genetics work. lol

But, if you want me to take pictures I will. I love takingpictures. Anyways, I'm not too sure I've seen pictures of REW and BEWwhen they are first born and they are all pink,and that one is allpink. Hmmm.... I'm not too sure,I guess I'll find out in a week or soof the fur.

I'm moving this to the rabbitry forum where breeders might be more likely to see this and post.

Peg

Oh,yeah, duh stupid me,that's right; whycouldn't have I think of those colors. But,wait the doe is a CharlieFawn and the buck is a self, how can she have a self? :dunno:

Thanks

If the doe is a charlie - won't all of her kitshave to be brokens? If so - the white usually shows up first (in mylionheads) and then the color comes in...

Peg

it has been a few years since i played withgenetics, so i could be wrong on some of these rules, someone correctme if i am wrong!

seal isn't a self color. . .it is shaded. . .

here is the genetic lingo of it all:

you have a fawn (i know it is a charlie fawn, but i am going to deal with the color genetics, not the broken gene): A_ B_C_D_ee

and you have a seal (i think that he is a seal): aa B_ c*chl c*chl D_ ee

so you could end up with an orange/fawn/cream as their genotype would be: Aa B_ Cc*chl D_ ee

if the baby is a REW or BEW, the baby would still be a broken. when youbreed a charlie to a solid, you always get broken rabbits. . .a brokenREW or BEW is still a broken, but you can't tell because the coloredpart of the rabbit is white! but when bred to a solid colored rabbit,you can expect some brokens in the litter. . .

some of the options that you will find is that maybe because it is a broken you aren't seeing were the color is. . .

give it time, and you will see when the fur grows in and the eyes open. . .

Thanks,

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what Toby's color is, everybody told me he is a seal.

I have no idea about the color, but I guess I will find out in a fewdays by the fur and when I have to open there eyes, then that's whenI'll find out. And I know since she is a charlie I will be gettingbrokens.

Thanks

it was really hard to tell if toby was a black with light color, or if he was a seal. . .

do you have his pedigree? i would be interested to know what toby's parent's colors are. . .

Where I gotten Toby is from a Holland Lopbreeder where I have gotten all my other Hollands. And, he has nopedigree though and she has no idea what his background is and neitherdo I. :(

But Toby has like some kind of spot on him,it starts from the nape ofthe neck and it calls all the way down to his tail, and its a blackcolor too.

at your rabbitry, can toby sunbath? or could he at the rabbitry you got him at?

from the photo, he looks more like a black with sunburnt hair. . .i hada blue holland lop that loved to lay in the sun and as a result thehair on his sides was brown and lighter. . .

Where I gotten him he was in the barn. But fromthe previous owners where my friend gotten him,that I have no idea. Shenever said that he did.

Just to add a little more confusion into themix, rabbits can appear to be charlies because they are so lightlymarked, but not be true charlies genetically. If this is the case withyour doe- solid babies would be possible in the litter.

katt wrote:
at your rabbitry, can toby sunbath? or could he at the rabbitry you got him at?

from the photo, he looks more like a black with sunburnt hair. . .i hada blue holland lop that loved to lay in the sun and as a result thehair on his sides was brown and lighter. . .
Ah! But if you notice in the picture of Toby... there's a ruby cast to his eyes - Black's do not have this.

~Sunshine

Latest posts

Back