Color and Breed Questions (Pamnock if you see this, please)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nela

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Me again! Lol. I don't know if you remember, but a while ago I was asking about the Frosted Pearl and if Crumble was indeed frosted or not and what...

Well, Crumble has always been gray and white but lately he's been getting 'ticking' along his body which looks more brown? :?What does that mean? (I think Shiloh might have mentioned this in the past?) It doesn't look so brown in the picture probably but it really does look more brown in person! He's definitely nota chocolate frosted since he is so light-colored so what other option is there? I thought blue, lilac, and so forth were all blue shades and therefore, gray? Will it spread all over by the way? I've never seen this kind of coloring in personbefore and I must say, I am quite fascinated!

Also, I was told he is a fuzzy lop. He's definitely not as fuzzy as some fuzzy lop pictures I've seen. I was just wondering if I could expect him to stay as is or if his coat will grow more with time?

Anyway here are a few pictures... He's about 4 months now. The pictures mightor might not be of any help. Getting him to stay still for 5 seconds is quite something!!!

DSC07616.jpg

DSC07616.jpg

DSC07709.jpg

DSC07710.jpg

DSC07711.jpg

Hehehe glad you guys find him cute. :biggrin2:

Heather, he might not look it on the picture, but the texture of his coat is very different! I know all sorts of lops and I can definitely say his coat is different. I can't say what he is for sure, since I dunno fuzzies, but I was thinking maybe he's just a poor quality fuzzy? Lol

His fur type looks like my Gubble's. Gubb is a mini lop, but his fur is wispy and cloud like. Almost like feathers. I would have questioned him being purebred if I hadn't been so involved with the breeder before bringing him home.

I'm not sure about Crumble's color, but maybe he's shedding his baby coat and coming into his adult colors? I'm not sure what that'll ultimately mean...but he is super duper cute!

Color is what we'd call "frosty" in the US. Not sure what the breeds are in Amsterdam. Appears to be what we would refer to as a Holland Lop in the US (if mature weight is 4lbs. or under). Some countries call the smallest lop a minature lop.

Also - not on the forum much due to my work schedule. If anyone wants me to respond to a particular post, please message me from the site or email me at [email protected]

:)

Thanks. Yeah he's a frosty but was wondering what the particular shade was. Either way he's cute as a button. He is really really wooly and fluffy, the camera really doesn't capture it. I've had holland lops, mini-lops, and currently have a german lop and his hair is completely different, even for a baby so I know he's not just the standard lop. His sibling was also much much fuzzier. Lol. His brother looked just like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_szH9qvKsP3U/Ss1qpN7nfFI/AAAAAAAAAXI/YelZVe3rZsU/s400/023.JPG

but japanese harlequin similar to this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-smO3FiqSr5g/Tm4fzwFBeuI/AAAAAAAAAH0/MqwWSjhOcuI/s1600/Picture+048.jpg

I remember very well because Jeff kept giggling at him and thinking of Star Wars names for him. I *almost* took them both home thinking, One for Maybelle, and One for Rolo. :p

He's probably just the result of some bad breeding. Wouldn't be surprised with how his teeth were looking. Like I said, his sibling was way fuzzier so maybe there's some mix in there or for some reason he just has a bad coat. (No idea how the genetics work)

Anywho, thanks everyone for the help.

Ps: Pam, thanks. Didn't think it was important enough to message you directly so I put your name by the thread in case you were browsing the section :)

It might be hard to identify the base color without seeing it in person, but eye color may help to narrow it down (however, the chin gene can cause variation in eye color, so it may or may not be helpful). Are the eyes brown or blue-gray? Is there a red cast to the eyes in subdued light? (Indicating possibly a shaded/sable base color)

My mini lop Bonnie looks loads like your bunny! When she was a baby she was white, then as she started getting older she started getting dark brown/black ears then started getting brown/ginger ticks on her back too :)

Sorry, was busy over the past few days. His eyes are brown but I will have to get back to you about the red as I haven't noticed but also didn't pay particular attention. :)

Thanks everyone for your help :)

I must be quite the dork because I can't seem to tell if there is any red... Sometimes I think I definitely see some, and other times I don't see it at all. *Shrugs* So confusing!

I'd never heard of a sable frosty. I thought they were two completely different things. I just get more and more confused. Lol. At what age would his coat be his general permanent color do you think?

I find this very interesting...I always just thought a frosty was a frosty. Now I want to find some more information on this since I'm a huge frosty fan-hopefully I can get another someday.

Back