Cold weather

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheridan

Reaction score
ok, this might seem like a stupid idea but I am really struggling.

I have 2 rexes who stay outside. They live in a 2 floor hutch with alittle run attached. Now the weather here is getting colder( I live inScotland, UK).

I have lined the top floor with Carpet which they seem to love and theyhave the Newtons snuggle hutch and the Newton rain cover.

What I want to know is what else can I do to keep them warm.

I did think of buying them a cat bed that can be placed in their littlesleeping room(which they dont tend to use that much). I also thought ofbuying a little electric blanket thing just for bunnies.

If I put hay in the top floor, I foind that they used the whole hutch as their toilet. The bottom floor has vinyl tiles.

Does anyone have any ideas of any other ways to keep them warm? Or is my idea for a cast bed just stupid?

I have 3 outdoor bunnies, living in a two storyconverted playhouse and have a very similar climate to you (NorthernIreland). I think I'm going to buy a cat bed for them (or the rabbitbed they have in Pets at Home if I can get there soon:D)

Hay and straw really won't work for me, it just gets eaten and thrownall over their house, I've put carpet down too, and they love to lay onit, but that can't really be that warm can it? Last year we tried Berriwith a blanket but she just shredded it to pieces.:rollseyes

I think the cat bed idea is the best but I'm sure someone else will suggest something else!;)

Michaela:brownbunny

I can't remember how much it was, not too dear Idon't think. It was a good enough size, my rabbits woulddefinitely fit in it;) (and Berri's a rex too)

I couldn't find it on their website but it looks a lot like this

In the winter I use straw as bedding instead ofhay as it is more insulating although I still provide hay in litterboxes and hay racks to eat. Straw is the best thing for bedding, it maybe tempting to get them a nice snuggy bed but they will bemuch warmer with straw to burrow into. Also don't worry about themmoving it out of the way, if they are cold they will use it. Rabbitscope surprisingly well and although rexes have thinner coats than otherrabbits this will bemy rexes5th winter outside andthey have never had any problems.

I also wouldn't give them an electric blanket because it would be asafety hazard, they will cuddle up to each other for warmth but if youwant to provide additional heat try a snuggle safe.

Oh, and one more thing, I cover over the front of the hutch with an oldhorse blanket but anoldcoat, piece of tarp orcarpet will do to keep the cold and bad weather out on cold nights,just remember to leave a gap either side so air can flow in and out.

winter wehre r live - east england - isnt toocold so my bunnies who both live outside in seperate hutches, jsut haveextra bedding ie straw and sawdust (toabsorb wee as they stayin there hutches mroe so sue it to toliette in!)and they haveeither a thick blanket or a piece of carpet over the hutch. both thehutches also are moved into a more sheltered spot.

your rabbits should be ok as they will hudle together to keep warm butif you are really worriede you could warm up some water and put it intoand old jam jar and give to them as a sort of hto water bottle!

hope this helps youkeep your bunnies cosy this winter

thanks guys.

I think i have started to annoy them more as I keep going out to check on them.

So far they seem ok and it is gale force winds at the moment.

Hopefully they wil stay ok.

The worries these bunnies cause!!!

sheridan wrote:
I think i have started to annoy them more as I keep going out to check on them.
He he me too Sheridan, my bunnies are tortured at the minute by mechecking on them!;) I'm really worried about fireworks at the minute soI have them inside as much as possible. I'm also worried because Pebbleand Ebony always huddle together without Berri, I don't know if it'sher or them that causes this. What if she freezes! But I suppose shesurvived the last two on her own so she should be ok this year too!:D

Hunnnybunny I like your jam jar idea, I might just have to try it!

Awww thats a shame for Berri! I feel sad thinking about it. Bunnies should always cuddle together! It is sooo cute to watch!

sheridan wrote:
Awww thats a shame for Berri! I feel sad thinking about it.Bunnies should always cuddle together! It is sooo cute to watch!

if only my two bunnies would live together let alone cuddle up! i bouhtthem together when they were just9 weeks old but since theywere about 5 months they havnt lived together as they will just fight.we have had a few accidents when one ahs jumped over into the otherones area!

I just cram their hutches up to the top with straw and hay in the winter and put a cover down over the hutch.

But about the covers...We have an old bed blanket but we pegged it to aplastic car cover as so the blanket doesnt get wet and soggy. We justdrape the cover over the hutch so it covers the whole of the front ofthe hutch. Is this ok as air can get to the hutch fromunderneath/at the bottom ofthe blanket as it isnt attacheddown to the hutch? Someone said to leave a gap in theblanket, but surely that way it would give the bunnies adraft?

I just wanted to know how I have it is ok or not. Thankz guys!

P.s also the jam jar idea is great too! I am going to try it with my bunnies and guinea pigs this year also!

yer i think your blaket will be fine. if you getlots of snow leave that lieing on the top of the hutch as this will bean extra insulator.

during the day you may wish tolift up the blanket so thatthere is light inside and so there is light inside for the bunnys tosee.

Linz_1987 wrote:
Someone said to leave a gap in the blanket, butsurely that way it would give the bunnies a draft?
Although it may be tempting to wrap them up againstthe cold it is very important that fresh air can still circulate aroundthe hutch so you must leave a gap for air to get in.:)

Here's where I read it! I knew it was something to do with ammonia...

"For people who keep rabbits outside in a hutch or blocks of hutches,it is common to think that a rabbit needs to be wrapped up to survivethe winter- but outdoor rabbits are extremely tolerant of coldconditions provided they have shelter, plenty of bedding and sufficientventilation.

Although ventilation suggests exposing a rabbit to cold air, it is amust. Without it, there can bean increase in dampness and humidity,which may increase the likelihood of disease.

Even if the temperature drops below freezing, ventilation is requiredto eliminate harmful gases, moisture, dust and heat. An increase inammonia in the air can lead to rabbits becoming infected with organismsthat may lead to respiratory disease, for example."

found at http://www.giantrabbitrescue.co.uk/

when its cold outside here i put a hotwater bottle under a blanket in the hutchs to warm them up. i also moveas much rabbits inside as possible

yeah I thought I could bring them back insidebut my mum has a different idea! Thats why I have spend about £150 forthe special covers for their hutch and I think I am going to go and buya cat bed tomorrow to allow hem to cuddle up in it. I have a badfeeling they will tear it to shreds though;)

heya,

i have3 rabbits:bunnydance:lol and we keep them outside in the summer and now its in to the winter we dont want to putthem in the house or in the garage. Is it ok if they all stayoutside?? and is there anything that we can buy to keep them warm ?thanks... sam x

:mrsthumper:

sheridan wrote:
yeah I thought I could bring them back inside but my mum hasa different idea!
Lol Sheridan! Me too! I hoped mum would let me bring the rabbits in for the winter but noo! :rollseyes

Although if I had my way they'd be living in my room allyear!:DAt least they are in tonight because of thefireworks!:colors:

Michaela and the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

sam_morris wrote:
heya,

i have3 rabbits:bunnydance:lol and we keep them outside in the summer and now its in to the winter we dont want to putthem in the house or in the garage. Is it ok if they all stayoutside?? and is there anything that we can buy to keep them warm ?thanks... sam x
Welcome to the forum Sam! :bunnydance:

Your rabbits will be fine outside, to keep them warm fill up theirsleeping area with straw and hay, and you can buy a hutch cover to keepout frost and that, but leave a gap for air to circulate! There isloads of good ideas in this thread.

We must see pictures of your bunnies!

Michaela and the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

Latest posts

Back