Coffee Pot Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mewlingcricket

Reaction score
Hey, quick question. One of my lionhead does started sounding like a coffee pot. I have checked her, no discharge, no sneezing. She has been eating and drinking like normal, she plays and binkies and does all the normal things, she just sounds like a perculator. Any ideas what could be causing this???

are you giving her hay?

I have a Cali Buck that seems to be allergic to certain kinds of hay dust, and it gets up his nose and he sounds like hes brewing a nice pot of latte..

I use to freak out and quarantine him every time, then my son noticed he did it everytime he got hay from one feed store..kind of like a clicking noise in his nasal cavity..

She has been getting the same kind of hay since I first brought her home (about 6 weeks ago) She only started doing this yesterday. She was playing and got really agitated when we tried to put her back in her cage, and she has been perking ever since. I don't get it......

Sorry, not sure why this didn't give me a notification.

I think its a sound that may signal an upper respiratory infection, but it could also be dust or allergies, or even a piece of hay stuck up her nose.

Is the bag of hay near the bottom where it gets more dusty?

sas :?

we buy hay by the bale and keep it in a storage tote, which isn't stored near the bunnies. When she is just playing alone she doesn't sound that bad, it is when she gets annoyed or upset that she really starts to sound like a coffee machine gone bad. At first I thought it was just a weird bunny noise. I've noticed that sometimes the buns will make a whine/growl sound when they are displeased (usually about going back in their cage after playtime) but the perking sound is new to me. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Ugh, this could be a lower respiratory issue, I've been checking some of the past instances when it's been heard, and they range from an URI to pneumonia.

It there a crackle noise with it at all? Or is it nasally? Can you sense whether the source is upper or lower?

How old is the bunny?

You may want to prepare for things like nebulization, steam treatment. For that matter, might as well see if the noise is affected by steam.

I think it might be an idea to also start antibiotics sooner than later just in case.

I'll gather up some more info. Stay tooned...

sas :clover:

I would take everything Pipp says and err on the side of caution.. you can never be too careful..

BUT..I will say this.. and this is speaking ONLY FOR MYSELF..

I just had a Big Flemmie NZ Buck who honked and clicked up a storm..when he was mad or annoyed or wanted your attention...BUT.. he was massive.. and huge...and I think he had the resonating cavity to produce such a noise..it was his way of communicating..

But such a wee one.. I mean its not impossible.. but.. I tend to freak out and worry..i'd be digesting everything pipp had to say...

I will keep checking back in..

I'm sorry.. I read it as the bunny was 6 weeks old.. you brought it home 6 weeks ago..

I second Pipps question.. how old?

I had a bun with a LRI; she has no discharge at all just made a lot of noise when she was breathing ; sounded like human with acold
nothing helped her excepta coolmister and antibiotics and antibiotics were absolutely necessary.

Just so you're prepared...

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/nebulizer.shtml

This is a great 'case study' article about a 'percolator rabbit' with a LRI/pneumonia.

It is something that has to be caught extremely early, it's one of the harder things to treat and cure in a rabbit.

Hopefully it's nothing, but just remember that rabbits don't show signs of illness until they're REALLY ill, so you have to always watch for the little things.

Rabbits can make an amazing array of noises, I've heard all manner of honks, grunts, snorts, growls, squeals, nrrrphs and clucks, but they were all when they were reacting to something, so I guess one clue is going to be if it's when there's something going on or if its just when he breaths.

sas :clover:

Sara is 4 months old. I have been really watching and listening, she doesn't make a bit of noise when she is left completely alone. It is only when you mess with her/her cage that she becomes frustrated and starts perking. When you get her more water, fill her food bowl, ect...... maybe she is just having a cranky day. I would think if she was ill she would be doing the noise more often then when she is cranky. I will prepare for the possible treatments, and keep a close eye on her. Thanks guys.

I would have it checked out, or get a stethoscope and listen to her lungs myself, just to make sure. It sounds like a LRI to me and those can be very serious.

Back