COD for Lion Heads

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this, too. It's not only the first to come up with the correct mane (single vs. double) but the first ear carriage (lopped or upright).

"Lionhead- Dual Ear Carriage Policy:

Separate COD's will be issued for animals displaying either lopped or upright ear carriage. Either or both ear carriages will be allowed to present under the provisions of the admission process for new breeds. Whichever form of ear carriage that first achieves a successful third showing will be the recognized version of the Lionhead. At that time, all presentation rights for the other version of ear carriage will be terminated and will not be allowed to continue presentation or gain recognition under the current ARBA rules. The same policy shall extend to any other breed under development that proposes both an upright and lopped ear carriage."

So basically the ARBA are going to let a lop be a lion head if they win 3 times in a row first? You have to be kidding me.

All the research I've read shows one thing, the Lion Head has been photographed, and acknowledged by not only the ARBA but breeders with Upright Ears. That's another trait of a Lion. The ears and the manes. I'd like to see the picture of Lion with floppy ears.

The Lion Head is supposed to resemble a lion. Where in the Animal World is there a lop eared lion.

Boy now I understand why there are articles that show how the ARBA has intentionally ignored this breed. That's right, I said breed. Now all of sudden someone comes up with lops, which is a cross between a lion head and a lop rabbit.

Boy going against nature. If you didn't have a Lion Head you wouldn't have a Lop Lion Head. So you tell me where they are getting this protocol at?

Something truly is not right. And to say that one ear or the other ear will win whoever shows first under ARBA. So ARBA really doesn't like the Lion Head and all the work others have done for the last 12 years.

And how long has someone been playing with this lop lion? What 3 - 5 years or just in the last 2.

Boy politics rearing it's ugly head. And it's not even Common Sense politcs. Oh whoever comes first will win and heck with the COD's that have already been issued and ignored. Isn't that a bit backwards? Boy, sounds like 4th Grade Recess time.

Well, I guess we'll have to see about this. Looks like it's time to get the Upright Ear Lion head Breeders together. All that work for nothing? That's OK, I like playing games like this.

BTW. what happens to the history of COD's to lion heads from the past? Oh wipe the slate clean and say it never happened? LOL They can't do that. I thought ARBA was a sanctioning body that controls Rabbit Standards. They already issued COD's to Lion Heads. And anyone know of a COD for a lop head lion head?

K:)

K, I can feel your frustration. I have seen postings of floppy lionheads for sale, but have no clue on who (if anyone) has the COD for them.

They aren't ignoring the CODs, the breeders that hold the CODs are unable to breed to the standard. Until someone can consistently produce rabbits to the working standard, they won't be recognized.

It's not ARBA's fault that the breeders with the COD have failed. ARBA doesn't write the standard, but they do make recommendations. The working standard said, "transitional wool not to be longer than 1 inch" But the animals that were brought had transitional wool over 2 inches. And out of all her showings, she had one that the pedigree didn't match. I think she has until next convention to get them passed. If she fails again, then the COD goes to the next person.

I'm not sure I understand the single mane vs. double mane. Do the double mane rabbits look like angora type? The ones I've seen on the lionhead site show a "regular" fur everywhere but around the head (like a lion). If the double mane ones are fuzzy all over, then they'd be just smaller versions of the angora, wouldn't they?

I don't think it matters how many CODs were tried and failed, only which one actually passes all three times.

If I understand it correctly, if she fails at the next convention, her COD will be terminated? And if she passes, she still has to pass the another one, right? For the three passes?

As a side note, England has both erect and lop eared Lionheads, but only erect ears are recognized. Maybe ARBA was just covering their bases?

wendymac wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the single mane vs. double mane. Do the double mane rabbits look like angora type? The ones I've seen on the lionhead site show a "regular" fur everywhere but around the head (like a lion). If the double mane ones are fuzzy all over, then they'd be just smaller versions of the angora, wouldn't they?
Single mane is where the mane is just around the head. Double mane has it around the head and around the flanks. Both should have more normal fur on the body and not have wool all over like an angora. Basically, both will have fuzzy heads, but the double maned would also have a fuzzy butt.

Wendy: You are right, a double mane does look more like a angora type when they are kits. Till the first year. That's the problem. The breeders are showing too soon. The reason they can't get a continuation is because these bunnies aren't fully mature yet and have NOT grown into their Mature Mane and Skirt (fuzzy butt).

I understand that ARBA needs to see Juniors as well as the Senior. What's not passing is the Junior because of it's fuzzy appearance.

Now you ask me why I feel this way and feel this is why the COD is not going through without showing myself, is I see the pattern. I have that knack. The Lion Head is not fully matured coatwise until at least 11 months. I think the fact that no one really knew exactly what they would come to in adulthood. I think if this presented with the juvenile there may be more understanding allowed under ARBA.

Will see. But thanks for all your clarifications. The more I hear from folks, the more it sounds like I'm on the right path. Not looking to hit a home run first time, but it takes time to develop these bunnies into a MAGNIFICENTLY Handsome bunny.

That's what Neville is about. And soon Luna. I will let you watch them develop and you will see. BTW Wendy, Lion Head breeders have been caught putting the Lion Heads against Angoras. That's not good and that's another reason why the Lion Head has not been acknowledged.

I've set my course and sticking to it.

K :)

Well, they changed the DQ to read, "Junior animals tend to carry more transition wool and should be given more leniencies as long as the side break is clearly evident."

Won't that help with the extra fuzzy juniors?

I can't wait to see your LH development. Too bad all the LH breeders can't agree among themselves on the double vs. single mane thing. That might have sped up their approval.

wendymac wrote:
Well, they changed the DQ to read, "Junior animals tend to carry more transition wool and should be given more leniencies as long as the side break is clearly evident."

Won't that help with the extra fuzzy juniors?

I can't wait to see your LH development. Too bad all the LH breeders can't agree among themselves on the double vs. single mane thing. That might have sped up their approval.

Thanks Wendymac, that's what I heard too which definitely gives my "extra fuzzy" juniors to be a chance.

Thanks for the encouragement on my LH development. I can't worry about past breeders and what they did. With ARBA changing the DQ regarding Juniors, it give me and other "New Blood" a chance to get this breed recognized.

Karen, are you a member of ARBA? If you are, and have been for 5 years, you can apply for the COD. Or maybe hook up with the breeder that will get it next? That way you can help shape the rabbits that will be presented.

I can't even imagine trying to breed for correct type, color, AND hair. You go, girl!! :)

wendymac wrote:
Karen, are you a member of ARBA? If you are, and have been for 5 years, you can apply for the COD. Or maybe hook up with the breeder that will get it next? That way you can help shape the rabbits that will be presented.

I can't even imagine trying to breed for correct type, color, AND hair. You go, girl!! :)
Not yet with ARBA, but will be very soon. I already sent my application to join the North American Lion Head Association (NALRC). Haven't heard back yet, but understandable because it had to go "snail mail". This weekend I plan to sign up for ARBA.

But excellent suggestion regarding working along with someone else. That's already in the works. I'm not the type that "it has to be me". I just want to be part of it and raise the best Lion Heads that I can. Neville is an excellent start. I was so lucky to get him. He's already 4th Generation Lion Head. Completely documented so there will be no problems with linage. He even has proven show in his line.

K:)

FYI both types (lopped and unlopped) have been trying through different COD's since 1985 I believe I read in one of the books I fall back to for info. So please do not hold your breath.....

ZRabbits, just because it is a proven show rabbit does not mean it is consistent with the new COD...The question is, how would it do on a show table with the new standard?

Thanks Corely, Not holding my breath at all. And you are so right, that a rabbit must prove itself on the show table. This is so true. But this is the challenge and I accept that challenge through good and bad. I want to see this breed florish with pride and finally have some sort of recognition in the ARBA which IS THE organization for standards.

Neville unfortunately will not be shown. He's already has a DQ regarding his white tipped toes. Now this may change in time but right now we know what he is. He's our Breeder Buck. I love the length of his ears, his mane and skirt look like they will really be nice and full. I'm looking forward to seeing how he matures and looking forward to getting Luna home.

This is a long project. I don't expect immediate results. My plans are to show what I breed and then go from there. And I'm also looking for another female outside the line I have now to see what will come from that line.

Lots of plans. Not holding my breath at all. Will take time. Unfortunately because of the long battle the Lion Head has, some think it's a loss cause. I like working with the Underdog.

Thanks for your input Corely. Know it's not an easy road but should be fun and very educational to travel. My Lion heads will be worth the time I put into it. And boy do I have time to spare now.

I am hoping that ARBA will approve both Lionheads then later Lionlops or vice versa.

CCWelch wrote:
I am hoping that ARBA will approve both Lionheads then later Lionlops or vice versa.

Why not. I see no valid reason not to. They are completely different bunnies. And should be both recognized. Not one or the other.

We shall see.

Got more details on how to get a COD. I need to join ARBA and be in ARBA for 5 years before petitioning for a COD. This gives me the time to completely concentrate on my Rabbitry.

Whatever happens in the next 5 years regarding Lionheads and the ARBA is what it is. If another type of single mane (lop or rex) gets in, I'm not too upset. I'll have my one specialty rabbit that will be truly unique.

As much as I want to be involved in showing, I will not compromise my breed. I will not take the chance of loosing the UNIQUENESS and BEAUTY of this breed.

A Double Mane is a genetic mutation. It is what it is. Trying to change this mutation with rex or holland or non-manes is basically an attempt to sabatoge the Lionhead all to keep single mane alive. And it's been proven that single manes may loose their manes. Plus the wool is a very important part of the Lionhead. Taking that out of the equation, you have rex with long hair and a holland with a poof on it's head.

This is my opinion based on observations and research.

Latest posts

Back