Coccidia?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimsonpawwz

Reaction score
It's amazing how little I realize that I know about rabbits. I recently had to re-home most of my herd and a friend and vet tech is helping me by fostering while I find homes. One of the people who addopted one of the babies took her to the vet and she tested out positive for coccidia. My friend then told me that they all have it and they have to be treated.
I do not doubt this as several of our first bunnies came from a puppy mill where thier conditions were only so-so. To the best of my knowlede all of those four had syphillis as well. (which is being treated by the vet my friend works with now)

However none of them showed any signs of being ill, all are robust and to the untrained eye healthy. No diarea, healthy appitite for food and water, playful and curious, bright eyed, clean nose mouth and tail.
I did a bit of research and one site suggests Ponazuril as a quick cure, (only three treatments) and also states that Albon and Trimethoprim sulfa are comon treatments as well.

Which of these is the easiest and cheapest to obtain? As much as I want to give them the best I'm between homes right now, but I still want to do SOMETHING. Weather they're sick acting or not, the parisites can't possibly be good, right?

Edit: This site says some very confusing and contridictory thigs as well, stating that many types of coccidia are not dangerous, ect, and that it may even be mis-diagnosed by vets. how much truth is there in that?
http://www.freewebs.com/windyhillrabbits/healthinformation.htm

I thought my bunny Gabriel had coccidia when I took him in last year as a half-starved stray. After three fecal tests coming back negative we determined that he had something closer to mega-colon.

I don't have first hand experience with the treatment ,however, in looking over some of the articles in our library I did read that there are mild or sub-clinical cases in which the animal would be asymptomatic.

You really should consult a rabbit knowledgeable veterinarian re, a treatment protocol. although there may be a few members who have had first hand experience with this parasite.
Under or over -dosing or not being aware of toxic side-effects are always a possibility when you try to treat the animal yourself.

I did a little reading on medi-rabbit tonight and you are on target with the the drugs mentioned.

I believe that ponazuril would be the most expensive of the drugs mentioned but also the most recent drug to use not as a preventative but as a cure.

There are 2 forms of coccidiosis.. intestinal and liver:this sporozoal infectionactually tends to affect young rabbitswho can be infected by their environment orcan even be infected by adult rabbits who are asymptomatic.
Treatment of the environment is extremely important. Water crocks and feed hoppers should be disinfected and remain free of rabbit feces. Spores can live for months in the environemnt

Ponazuril (Marquis) is a very expensive drug...but a very effective drug. I have a largesyringe of it as I am testing it to treat EC. Coccidia is usually treated either by Albon or a Sulfanomide. The rabbit's immune system is the most effective weapon against coccidia and every effort should be made to support the immune system along with the drug therapy.

Randy

You've already gotten great advice here...but for what my 2 cents are worth...

When I brought Simon home, he seemed like a normal fine bun. We started getting strange poops though and came to find out he had coccidia.
We treated with Alban..issue resolved.

Simon has a strange tummy to begin with we have discovered, and though what we saw could have been about anything..you wouldn't have known anything was up to look at him.
Never dehyrated....looked great...yet still.

I hope things work out for you and your buns!
Best wishes!

We use Albon to treat for Coccidiosis. It can get mixed in their water. You give it for 5 days, stop for 3 days and repeat for 5 days. Scrub the cages real well (bleach in water) after the first 5 days and keep clean of droppings for the next week.

thank you all for your sound advice and support. :) I'll keep an update on how little Osgood's doing! (even though he seems fine, I'm going to treat his cage and his water and pass the cure on to my vet tech friend.)

Back