Coccidia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just thought of something I should've asked since day 1. Can Albon be refrigerated? Frozen? It doesn't have any storing instructions on the bottle so I've just kept it at room temperature.

BlueGiants wrote:
Pam, I thought that too, but over the last 3 years I've had 6 rabbits necropsied. None had symptoms of coccidiosis. 4 of them turned up positive for small amountsofcoccidia (usually 1-3 oocysts). I've also have a few rabbits tested due to symptoms. (1 was positive)

Every time I got back even a minutely positive result my vet would chastise me for neglecting my rabbits, she felt I should be treating them, especially since I knew some of them had been exposed at shows. Her opinion was that no rabbit should ever test positive, even for small amounts. That it was too taxing on the immune system, and that prevention was best. She felt that the treatment did no harm.

Now I'm torn.

Coccidiosis is a disease caused by an over population of coccidia. Rabbits with low count coccidia generally don't have the disease signs caused by coccidiosis.

A rabbit can have a low count one day, suffer from an intestinal viral infection, and have a coccidia blow-out leading to death within hours.

Any medication can have adverse effects on a rabbit's system. Sulfa medications not only kill some of the cocci population, but also beneficial bacterias in the rabbit's intestinal system.

I used to regularly treat for cocci when I first started rabbit breeding, but have found it is not necessary. It is far better to breed rabbits resistant to pathogens.

Pam

Okay, back from taking Hobbes to the vet...I asked about Teeny and brought some of his freshest poops for examination.

I told the vet Teeny's age, the situation, how long it's been since they were playing together (him and his siblings), and showed her his poops...and she said that honestly, she really doesn't think he has it.

One thing to keep in mind: if Teeny contracted it, at his age (just over two months), the symptoms would've presented. They would've presented in the Mini's, too, since they're just a month older. And NO symptoms are present at all.

The vet said we COULD treat everybun with Sulmet if it would make us more comfortable, but she's absolutely convinced he doesn't have a problem, just in LOOKING at his poops. She said it would have been REALLY obvious by now if he'd gotten it.

So, I'm going back and forth on the idea of whether or not to treat them, as like Pam has said, and Danny and I have been talking about...ANY introduction of antibiotics has the potential to disrupt regular bacteria growth/population. Why disrupt that if there is a large chance there ISN'T a problem with our buns?

In your case, okiron, it's obvious with Chubbs that he needed the meds and definitely has coccidiosis. In our case, the vet and I are just not seeing it...and personally, I'd rather not take the chance.

I'm going to be observing them REALLY closely...so not like I'm letting this go. And if symptoms don't present in a couple weeks here, it'll be quite obvious Teeny didn't wind up contracting it.

I think in Chubbs case, he was under stress from entering a new environment twice in one night, and his low weight and being the runt led to his immune system being weaker than Lilith and Teeny's...and that's why he wound up with a problem. Him being in a home with others DURING his coccidia blow-out warrants you needing to treat ALL the buns there. :)

So, there ya go. If something presents, I'll update things. Otherwise, it's clear that in my case, and in my household, there isn't a problem.

Hugs everyone!

Rosie*

P.S. If anyone disagrees, feel free to post and let me know, ok? Hugs!

I'm glad all is well on your front Rosie :)

As for Chubbs, he's doing fine so far :) Him and Lilith both know what the pedialyte bottle looks like and starts trying at climb each other when Errik gets the bottle ready to pour lol. So cute. And best of all...no runny poop so far!

Latest posts

Back