Coccidia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
I wanted to post something real quick before going to bed, to ask for prayers and good vibes for all our herd.

Tonight I learned from okiron that Teeny's siblings (her buns) were diagnosed with having coccidia (the vet took a fecal sample for testing when they took them in for a check-up)...which means that Teeny most probably contracted it, and thus might have passed it to the Mini's...who then might have passed it to the other buns.

So far, no abnormal poops or smells AT ALL. Cuddles did have excess cecals one night, but that has cleared up with keeping her on a Hay Only Diet to recalibrate her gut...and she's been absolutely fine ever since. In fact, last night, I'd been remarking to the buns how wonderfully healthy they all were, and how great and perfect I thought their poops were!

So, no symptoms going on here AT ALL...which is good.

We're considering buying Sulmet or Albon to give them as a preventative measure, but are currently making SURE that it's okay to do in such a case where there are ZERO symptoms present.

I've also emailed Laura, the lady from whom we got the buns, to let her know, so she can do the same if she so chooses. She was EXTREMELY grateful, and said that Chubbs (who is so far the ONLY bun showing symptoms) was the runt, and his weight, etc. might have made him more susceptable to it. She also asked what we were giving our buns, so I let her know...and she said she'll handle her end of things.

So, there ya go...along with Hobbes going in to see the vet on Saturday (2:15pm) to start him on some sort of further help for his cystitis, we've now got eight buns to do preventative care for, and a hawk's eye to keep on them. I'm quite sure things will be just fine...but it's stressful, as you can imagine, I'm sure...

*sigh*

Hugs to everyone!

Rosie*

P.S. Please pray for okiron's Chubbs...poor guy's having a rough time. He's got runny, smelly poops...he's had to be confined to his carrier for a few days because of it...he's just not feelin' good all around! :( So, keep him (and Lilith) in your prayers, too.

I'm so glad you found out and people are doing the networking so others with related rabbits find out!

It may be worth questioning your own vet (if you have other animals) to see if there is a chance of spreading it to dogs and cats in the households as well. More pertinant info to pass along, possibly.

We recently had coccidia at the pound (well, about 2 months ago) and it can be devistaing to any place with multiple animals in a "confined" space.

I'mm so sorry you have these fears now and I do wish you all the very best! The worst case doesn't always play out and taking such early action is awesome!

Good luck guys - you'll be in my prayers!

Hi Sweetie...

Yes, I have to admit, that the worse case scenerio not playing out this time is nice. :)

I'll ask the vet when we take Hobbes in on Sat about it being passed from bun to kitty...thanks for the advice! :)

Hugs!

Rosie*

So, here's what I've figured out about coccidia so far:

There are two types of coccidia: Intestinal (the type that affects the digestive tract), and Hepatic (the type that affects the liver). From his symptoms, I believe Chubbs (and everybun) has the Intestinal type.

In looking in the General Health Sites section in the Rabbit Health section of the Lagomorph Library, I found the articles/sites listed below.

Here's one article I found:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/coccidiosis_general.PDF

This next site should pop up with the articles on coccidia on the top of the page:

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html#coc

Most of the articles are really good (with the exception of one that is a broken link, lol).

One thing that was suggested to me was checking with a vet if your bun is diagnosed to also get treatment for your other buns, as it's quite easily passed between buns...and to check to see if it's something that can be transmitable to other species if you have other animals (I'll be asking when I take Hobbes the cat in on Saturday for disrelated issues).

The two people I've talked to have said that it's nothing to be too upset or worried about. They said that the Albon that okiron has been prescribed should handle it, and they will be just fine.

Hugs and many thanks to all!

Rosie*

If you have quarantined them, then hopefully it should only be an issue for the new buns.

I don't know of any decent articles, but I'll have a look in a bit :)

Don't be upset, it's very common, and very easy to treat if you catch it early.You will need to clean all the cages really well,sweep up all poopsand empty litter boxes daily, while you are treating. I would treat them all, just in case.

I treat all my rabbits twice a year for coccidia. Mostly because some of them are taken out of the barn to rabbit shows and public events. It is something that they pick up very easily. It's also something that they can carry with them for a long time with no problems or symptoms. Then one little thing that stresses them can cause the balance to be upset and you have a real problem. (I also treat all new rabbits coming here. Sometimes a new environment can cause it to come out too.)

The Albon (sulfadimethoxine) works great. Make sure you follow the directions carefully. Most of the time, it gets administered for 5 days, 3-5 days off and then a second course. It's fairly safe to use for all ages.

Rosie,

You're being smart about this. Treat them anyway. They can carry Coccidiosis for a long time with no symptoms. Any time you have that many bunnies together (or add new ones) I'd err on the side of caution. The treatment has no side effects and I'd rather treat now then lose them later. A coccidia bloom can overwhelm the immune system and take them down quickly if they get stressed.

Poor Chubbs... it's not fair. I'll keep sending him good vibes. (Okiron too!)

Edited to add: We had to have our dog treated when we had a bad case of it here. (She sometimes eats rabbit poops...) So I'm guessing it's transmittable. The vet didn't even do a float, just treated her... but it was just a powder to put on her food. No big deal.

Just another thought, this is such a common thing. Why aren't more rabbits tested for and treated before symptoms show up? How many vetslook for itas part of a check up? It would be easy for anyone to bring in a few droppings. (We do it with our dogs).

That's a good point, Cathy...they really should just start doing it as a part of check-ups.

Not like we have a lack of poops for each bun in our house...and I know no one else has a lack, either, LOL!!

Great! Thank you, guys!

I'm going to go to the place near us and get some Albon to treat them with. That, and we're going to figure out where we can buy a scale to be sure we've got accurate dosage going on. (If anyone needs a dosage calculator, there's one here.)

I'll keep ya'll updated! :D

Wow...cleaning ten litterboxes and eight cages DAILY...this'll be quite a feat...but SO worth it. Not to mention, we've got a good system down for the boxes, and it'll ensure that all cages are in pristine condition...and that's always good. We just thoroughly cleaned Maisie's out (wow, so many shreddies!), so she's working on refilling the cage (though we've got a limit on how much newspaper we're going to be giving her now, the addict!).

Going to clean SweetPea's cage today, too...so that'll be in much prettier shape, too!

Hugs! Thanks for the advice, and guidance! :D

Rosie*

P.S. To answer Flashy's mention of quarantine...I have to feel stupid, but be responsible, and admit that quarantine (for some reason) didn't even enter my mind when we brought them home. So, this would be a good example of WHY people should quarantine new animals.

I feel your pain. When we had pinworms I was changing 12 cages a day and scrubbing 13 litter trays a day. It's REALLY hard work, but worth it :)

As for quarantining, don't feel stupid, just learn from it :) And I hope others learn too.

I'm of the opinion thatcoccidiosis is something that ifevery rabbit istreated, even once a year, it wouldn't be a problem. And it's something that can easily be treated over the counter.

My vet suggested that most rabbits carry it. They can be exposed to it from the hay they eat, from other rabbits, and outside rabbits can get it from birds and squirrels... They can carry it totally symptom free for quite some time before it becomes a problem. (And granted, for some rabbits, it never bothers them). But it only takes a little stress to cause their immune system to be suppressed... and since we know how easily rabbits can be stressed, why take a chance?

Chubbs and Lilith are being treated with .25 ml twice a day of Albon for 7 days. They gave me enough syringes and meds to treat all 4 buns. They said not to worry about the cats and rats but I could bring in fecal samples and get them tested if I was worried but that it was species specific. So far Chubbs nipped me everytime I try to give him the meds but licks me afterwards to say, "I'm sorry mommy, I didn't mean it." Had to bunny burrito them both. The other 2 has had no direct contact but they'll start getting preventive meds AFTER I treat the 2 I know has it.

maherwoman wrote:
P.S. To answer Flashy's mention of quarantine...I have to feel stupid, but be responsible, and admit that quarantine (for some reason) didn't even enter my mind when we brought them home. So, this would be a good example of WHY people should quarantine new animals.

Rosie, I'm so sorry you are going through this. And you're right, with all the excitement of getting new buns (or any animal for that matter) you sometimes don't think of the quarantine period, I know I am guilty of that, so to speak. Don't feel stupid, just overly excited and it just didn't cross your mind;).

You guys are in my thoughts. I hope they recover with flying colors! I'm sure they will too.:hug:

BlueGiants wrote:
Just another thought, this is such a common thing. Why aren't more rabbits tested for and treated before symptoms show up? How many vetslook for itas part of a check up? It would be easy for anyone to bring in a few droppings. (We do it with our dogs).

Coccidia are very common in rabbits and rarely are the primary cause of disease because a healthy system keeps numbers at a normal, low level.When a rabbit is sick, the intestinal ph may change, allowing for an overgrowth of cocci, which can causeserious secondaryhealth problems.

I don't recommend treating unless there is a high cocci count (which generally causes loose droppings). The cocci medications themselves can be harmful and do not completely eradicate the cocci population.

Let the immune system do its job ;)

Pam

Pam, I thought that too, but over the last 3 years I've had 6 rabbits necropsied. None had symptoms of coccidiosis. 4 of them turned up positive for small amountsofcoccidia (usually 1-3 oocysts). I've also have a few rabbits tested due to symptoms. (1 was positive)

Every time I got back even a minutely positive result my vet would chastise me for neglecting my rabbits, she felt I should be treating them, especially since I knew some of them had been exposed at shows. Her opinion was that no rabbit should ever test positive, even for small amounts. That it was too taxing on the immune system, and that prevention was best. She felt that the treatment did no harm.

Now I'm torn.

Well, to settle the debate for myself, I'm going to be taking in some of Teeny's freshest poops for a fecal float at the vet's today. I'll be leaving in about ten or fifteen mins to take Hobbes, anyway, so I asked them if the bun vet would be in, and sure enough, she will be! So, I'm going to ask her what she thinks I should do, as I'm getting pulled in completely opposite directions by everyone here. No offense to others...I'm just getting such amazingly opposite answers, that I'm really torn as to what to do at this point. I figure, I'll take a bunch of poops of Teeny's, and have them tested...if he doesn't test positive, I'll ask her if she thinks I should still treat...and I'll go from there.

Hugs!

Well in Chubbs' case he IS showing symptoms so he will be treated regardless. Lilith will be treated because she lives with Chubbs and is with him at all times. My other buns might be treated AFTER the 2 have been treated because it's more of a slim chance they had any contact but just in case sort of deal. I'm gonna go with my gut on this one after looking at what everyone has to say about it.

Edit : I'd like to thank everyone for giving out advice they go along with, rather than what the crowd goes with. I'm sick of judgemental people in other forums who are like brain washed loonies who are just repeating each other and goes along with others regardless of how true it could be. Sure, different advice and opinions makes deciding on what's right for me difficult but at least I know I'm making the right decision for me instead of what everyone thinks is right. I don't know if that made any sense.

Latest posts

Back