Coccidia Questions!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynne2809

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m a little bit worried about coccidia all the time (my rabbit does not currently have coccidia) and I’m wondering how treatable it is in otherwise healthy adult rabbits. One of my friends has a rescue kitten that currently has coccidia and is almost done with treatment. I was petting and holding the kitten (before I knew that it has coccidia). I washed my hands before I touched my rabbit, is it likely that he will get coccidia or probably not? Also, I know that coccidia can be very fatal in baby rabbits, but is it as fatal for healthy adult rabbits if caught and treated? I am a worried mama! Thank you for any help!

As far as I can tell, Coccidia is something you consider when problems pop up, no point in being paranoid about it beforehand unless you know that there are problems in your region and with the stock your rabbit is of.

Just as background why I'm rather relaxed about the topic and reserved about preventive measures: I never had any problems with Coccidia, but I only can get two types of pellets here: One without and one with anticoccidia added. Some reading smallprint and googling turned up that this antibiotic is pretty much useless since it creates resistencies in a short time. But it really makes a difference when it comes to meat growth. One way to hide the worst of the meat industry with a positive spin.

As SableSteel said, Coccidia as a summery term for different parasites in different spieces but with compareable symptoms. And even if the Eimeria strain is present it doesn't necessarly cause problems to every rabbit.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, Coccidia is something you consider when problems pop up, no point in being paranoid about it beforehand unless you know that there are problems in your region and with the stock your rabbit is of.

Just as background why I'm rather relaxed about the topic and reserved about preventive measures: I never had any problems with Coccidia, but I only can get two types of pellets here: One without and one with anticoccidia added. Some reading smallprint and googling turned up that this antibiotic is pretty much useless since it creates resistencies in a short time. But it really makes a difference when it comes to meat growth. One way to hide the worst of the meat industry with a positive spin.

As SableSteel said, Coccidia as a summery term for different parasites in different spieces but with compareable symptoms. And even if the Eimeria strain is present it doesn't necessarly cause problems to every rabbit.
Okay thank you! So I shouldn’t be worried about bringing it home from my friend’s cat? It probably won’t hurt him since I washed my hands?

Latest posts

Back