Coccidia Found

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyv

Reaction score
Hi,

We have a 5 1/2 month old Netherland Dwarf bunny and recently was diagnosed with massive amounts of coccidia. We had gotten him from a rescue place so he might have picked it up there. Our vet prescribed SMZ for a 10 day period and after that we had another fecal exam. There was still the same amount of coccidia present so she consulted with a fecal expert in Madison. They want us to try the SMZ for another two weeks and if that doesn't work, maybe go with Ponazuril.

With this much coccidia present, what might this be doing to our bunny? There have been no signs of watery poop or diarrhea and he seems to be doing okay. Should we limit him to just hay and no veggies or pellets?

Iappreciate any information that will help us!

Thank you!

SMZ is old school and basically ineffective against coccidia....which is proven in this case since the coccidia is still present after a run of SMZ. If an infection of any description isn't showingat least some sign of resolution after a few days to a weekon a particular drug, then maybe the line of treatment may need to bemodified. Sulfa can inflict some serious damage to the beneficial bacteria population in the GI and has been linked to a condition known as Tyzzer's Disease....that is a very harmful overgrowth of a nasty bacteria known as Clostridium. I do not use any sulfa drug on any species at this point and haven't for several years. I would suggest that you talk with your vet about changing this line of treatment. Ponazuril is an excellent anti-coccidial. I use it extensively and I keep a syringe of it here for use in wildlife. If the coccidial population is very high, it might be a good idea to add Panacur to the Ponazuril. Those drugs together pack an awesome punch. Ponazuril also penetrates the blood/brain barrier and is effective against E Cuniculi (Panacur has a difficult time with the barrier). With a drug as effective against coccida as Ponazuril, there is medically no reason to even consider using antibiotics. Coccidia is a protozoan agent, not bacterial.

The besttreatment for coccidia is the immune system. I would suggest doing everything you can to boost your rabbit's immune system. I would certainly stick to a basic diet of limited pellets, unlimited hay and proper hydration.

Randy

bobbyv wrote:
Hi,

We have a 5 1/2 month old Netherland Dwarf bunny and recently was diagnosed with massive amounts of coccidia. We had gotten him from a rescue place so he might have picked it up there. Our vet prescribed SMZ for a 10 day period and after that we had another fecal exam. There was still the same amount of coccidia present so she consulted with a fecal expert in Madison. They want us to try the SMZ for another two weeks and if that doesn't work, maybe go with Ponazuril.

With this much coccidia present, what might this be doing to our bunny? There have been no signs of watery poop or diarrhea and he seems to be doing okay. Should we limit him to just hay and no veggies or pellets?

Iappreciate any information that will help us!

Thank you!
this is a-stress-factor- related illness-in the gi tract,,and when it rears its ugly head,,symptoms,like diarrhea-need to get under control quick--many young rabbit perish from this,,an antibiotic is required,,//,my head is not quit in the game yet-smz??upper respiratory//-all i can think of is baytril,,and a pro biotic benebac toaid the good bacteria(flora) in the gi tract.//.check his teeth,,any excess grinding-could mean misalignment--stress,,..heavy on the hays/water..sincerely james waller:wave:-if you can get ponazuril,,do that??

Yes, the coccidia could lead to other issues. I would give some probiotic to keep her GI in good order. Bene-Bac and Probios are good options. Bene-Bac is found at pet stores, and ProBios will be in a farm store like Farm and Fleet.

When I got my rabbit Prince he was sick. He did have soft poops, not diareaha(sp). He was on this thing called acid pack. You put a small pinch of it in a gallon of water and fill the rabbit's waterbottle with that gallon of water w/a pinch of acid pack everytime you give your rabbit water. It helps the rabbit's GI tract!

Thank you very much for the information. The first time we gave him medicine, it was just SMZ. Now it is SMZ-TMP. Is this any different? I really don't want to wait another three weeks to find out that it doesn't work. My vet should be open to my suggestions, shouldn't she?

Thanks again

It has an antibiotic added to it (TMP=trimethoprim, usually). I don't think this will treat it any better. A newer antiparasitic, like the drug Randy mentioned, Marquis (compound name ponazuril), is going to be much more effective. This drug was originally developed and approved for use in horses but has shown good success in rabbits. I think your vet should be open to suggestions. I know occasionally Randy will email or call vets here to talk about his experience with certain treatments. A stubborn vet is not a good vet, and they should be open to trying new things provided there is some evidence to support them working.

It's still a sulfanomide, just as ineffective and just another component to cause GI upset. As I menetioned, I don't use sulfa any longer in any species. Much better options availablefor bacterial, and protozoan, infections. This drug isn't one of them.

Randy

when donut had coccidia, he was given Baytril doses. it might work for you, but i'm not that sure since your problem seems much worse than mine was.

Latest posts

Back