Coccidia Cleaning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid

Reaction score
I think it was the link JBUN sent on a thread that led me to the article that contained this:

Treatment of the environment is important (e.g. 10% ammonia). Water crocks and feed hoppers should be disinfected and remain free of rabbit feces. When treating a carpet, vacuum first in order to further penetration of the anticoccidial product. During treatment of the environment, rabbits should be kept in another part of the home to avoid the danger of contact with the products and possible intoxication.

So my Q for you guys out there is kinda like how much, how often & for how long is cleaning with the ammonia required do you think?
It doesn't really tell you that & my little searches here aren't bringing me back that.
I was cleaning like crazy before but have only been cleaning with the ammonia for maybe say 3 days?
Most of my floors are wood.
I misted the space carpet and removed the gray ones for now. I gave her towels I wash when needed.
I have cleaned her litter pans every morning & now I use the ammonia on them as well.
The food and water dishes I have used the ammonia on but unless now there is poop on them I'm just using dish soap.
I'm very in top of picking up stray poop.
She's pretty good about going potty only in potty places.
She has been more active over the last couple of days so I really want to do what I can to prevent reinfection.
I think she's getting better. She's been all about exploring the living room and going places I don't actually want her to now lol.

Thanks in advance...

What is her medication frequency and which day are you on? Usually it is 5 days of meds, 5 off, then another 5 days.

What is her medication frequency and which day are you on? Usually it is 5 days of meds, 5 off, then another 5 days.

I gave her a dose right when we came home but it's supposed to be 2 times a day for 14 days. Nothing said about a break.
Thursday night was 1 dose.
So Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues was 5 full days. Today (Wed would make 6 tonight. We have the morning dose in.)
SMZ TMP .27cc oral suspension.
Bene Bac too. 1 gram for 15 days that says.

When I called & asked the vet (reception)...
All I could get was yes, the med dosage was right. That's all she's ever seen them prescribe.
And she wouldn't use ammonia. Hmmm
Then she said let me ask the doc. (Dr. Williams) is on staff this and waiting for a phone call back.

So yeah. Feeling even less good about this place.

I think the break has to do with the life cycle of the coccidia parasite, but giving the med continually for 2 weeks should serve the same purpose(and is actually probably better). Since you've already cleaned several days in a row you might be ok. But if you want to be extra safe, maybe clean again on day 13 and 14.

They may be reluctant to say to use ammonia, because how careful you have to be about exposing your pet to it, and ensuring that the pet isn't around the fumes and everything is rinsed thoroughly. Maybe ask them how they would disinfect their exam room if they had a coccidia positive pet in there.

Maybe disinfection isn't necessary with the meds, but everything that I've read indicates that it is important to do.

Last edited:
I think the break has to do with the life cycle of the coccidia parasite, but giving the med continually for 2 weeks should serve the same purpose(and is actually probably better). Since you've already cleaned several days in a row you might be ok. But if you want to be extra safe, maybe clean again on day 13 and 14.

They may be reluctant to say to use ammonia, because how careful you have to be about exposing your pet to it, and ensuring that the pet isn't around the fumes and everything is rinsed thoroughly. Maybe ask them how they would disinfect their exam room if they had a coccidia positive pet in there.

Gotcha.. Thank you.
I don't mind giving her the meds as long as it's the right dose, doing the right job.

Okay so chill with the ammonia then huh...
Whew. That stuff is potent and feels slimy to boot.
I'll do it again on the 13 & 14th days. No point in not trying to keep it all dead right.

I'll see what they have to say if they call back tonight.
Thank you. Really.

:sweep

Latest posts

Back