clumpy fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems like there are 2 issues: why it's matted & what to do about it. And what to do about it involves both removing the mats & keeping them from happening again.

WHY Does it seem to be cecals, poop, or urine?

FIX-1 Use unscented baby wipes.

FIX-2 Being overweight could make it hard to get to cecals.
Eating too rich a diet can cause excess cecals.
Changing to a more absorbent litter could help with poop or urine stains.
etc

hi Orlena
thanks a lot for the advise we are going to trim out the clumps & and try that as it seams to be growing in clumps not matted with poo
many thanks
Kelsay

What kind of bunny is he? Is he a long haired type? These with longer fur tend to be more prone to matting-keeping the butt-fur trimmed can be a big help. Also, at least several times a week try to brush him. This should keep matting from happening so much.

If you're trimming out the matts, be VERY careful not to cut to close. If you trim to closely to the skin, its really REALLY easy to miss seeing skim in the matt and pretty quickly you have a bleeding bunny.

If he's having a problem with digestion start giving him a papaya supplement it will help him digest his food. I get mine at a pharmacy find the smallest does and I give mine one tablet a day. They absolutely love it too!

Latest posts

Back