Clumps of poo stuck underneath bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkCoconuts

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here. I have two bunnies, LePoof and Ollie, both are 6 year old neutered males.

LePoof has been having some issues lately. He's not having diarrhea but I've been finding clumps of poo around his cage, and stuck underneath him. Some of them are still in the round pellet form, but all stuck together in clumps.

He hasn't eaten anything differently, his appetite is the same, he's getting lots of water and hay.

What's causing this and what's the best way to remove them from him and resolve the issue? I've tried gently pulling them off, but it hurts him as they're stuck in his fur. I've read about the "butt bath", is that appropriate for this situation?

Thank you for your help!!

Are their any changes in the diet you are feeding them, any difference in the hay, greens or pellets.?
If he is really dirty you could give a butt bath with a mild soap ...however if he is not really bad you can use cornstarch (plain kind without talc.)

While you are figuring out what is causing it you can also use a probiotic like benebac

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12067&forum_id=17

Thank you!! I had read the butt bath site previously, and had gotten the cornstarch powder. I will try it in the morning and see how it works for him. Where is benebac purchasable?

Their diet is the same, the only difference would be switching from Kaytee to Oxbow timothy hay. They've never had a problem with switching before, as I get whatever is available to me at the time I'm out shopping, most often Kaytee timothy hay. They both eat plain alfalfa pellets.

I have a similiar problem with a couple of my buns. They lay in their litter box and end up with cecotropes stuck in their fur. I usually use unscented baby wipes to work it all loose and do clean up. Cut down on their vegetables too and that has helped quite a bit.

You can get benebac at petco or petsmart in either small tubes for individual use in small animals or powder. the powder may be in the dog and cat sections and is the same as the small animal
Avoid the bird benebac
you can also use a probiotic for horses called Probios which is sold in a large tube. it can be purchased at farm stores like farm, Fleet or tractor Supply etc

Are the poos cecotropes or fecal poos? Are they eating the same amount of hay after the switch? I think a probiotic would be very helpful as well.

tonyshuman wrote:
Are the poos cecotropes or fecal poos? Are they eating the same amount of hay after the switch? I think a probiotic would be very helpful as well.
That's what I was going to say is that he may be leaving the cecotropes for some reason, ususally due to a diet dishevel. Normally, they eat them. If it looks like a small pile of like raspberries/small grapes, that's what it is.;) Usually, diet or a health issue is to blame for them to not eat them.

Is an alfalfa based pellet appropriate for 6 yr old buns if they are in otherwise good health?

If the rabbits poops are normal and there are not too many cecals, the bun is normal weight and has no kidney or sludge issues then a small amount of alfalfa pellet is fine. if we are feeding the correct ratio with haybeing the main portion of the diet ,veggies as the 2nd and pellets in very small amounts it doesn't hurt.
You do not want an alfalfa pellet high in fat and should also try to feed one high in fiber. ( exManna pro High Fiber/

In the days when pellets were the mainstay of the rabbit's diet a high protein ,diet is just too much for an adult bun who is not extremely active.
but since most of us are measuring out our pellets it should be fine

Sounds like he isn't eating his cecals. I had the same issue with Koga, my minirex. All rabbits have a nightly cecal that they eat once it comes out. Is the rabbit overweight? He may not be able to reach his butt. Rabbits don't stand - they sit, so a poopy butt is expected if he doesn't eat them!

It's ok to feed alfalfa pellets to a 6yr old. If age and weight are becoming an issue, the higher-protein pellets can help. If the bunny isn't having trouble keeping weight on, there are alfalfa pellets that aren't bad for older bunnies. They have the same protein level and fiber level as Timothy pellets. Also, if you don't feed a ton of pellets, it doesn't matter a ton about what's in them, as long as they have the necessary vitamins/minerals. In particular, the one I use with my 3 and 4 yr old bunnies has the same (or similar) protein and fiber as oxbow BBT, I just added it to their diet because one was constantly molting so I thought maybe a different source of protein would help her coat. I give them a 50/50 mix of this pellet (Purina Hi Fiber Lab Diet) and Oxbow BBT. I also think of pellets like a vitamin pill for bunnies--they get a total of 2 tablespoons between the two of them, and they're in the 4-5lb range. I also would be a bit worried about giving a bunny with bladder issues an alfalfa pellet because they do contain more calcium.

The comment about weight being an issue in not being able to eat cecals is a good point too.

Poofie is a minirex, he is not overweight at all, and his appetite is just fine.

Should I be feeding him timothy pellets? Also, do you reccomend a certain brand over another?

He didn't like the dry bath too much during, but after he enjoyed a cuddle, and he gave me a kiss =)

Is it possible his age is a factor in the poo problem, because its only been the last few weeks or so.
Thanks!!

At his age, if he can keep weight on, a Timothy pellet is best. I like Oxbow Bunny Basics T, and other good ones are Sweet Meadow Farms Timothy (although that business is in trouble right now), and American Pet Diner timothy.

How many pellets does he get? If nothing has changed in his diet or environment and the mushy poo just started, it could be a disease. Sometimes stress will cause a bunny to not eat their cecal poos. If nothing has changed and no new stresses have occured, you should have the vet check his poo for parasites.

Critterbebetter is actually apowder food that you mix withwater for ill bunnies that does contain probiotics ; it is similar to Critical care by theoxbow Company ;I think that what you are looking for is a plain probiotic like benebac and/or Probios (which can be bought in the equine section of a farm store)
it is good to keep products like Critical care or Critter be better on hand in case a rabbit does become ill and doesn't eat.

but you still need a plain probiotic

http://www.jbpet.com/Bene-Bac-Powder,659.html

yes this does cost more but it will last you a long time

Latest posts

Back