Clump of fur?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamela227

Reaction score
Today when I came home for lunch, I found a fewlittle clumps of Oreo's white fur on the floor of her cage &I'm trying to figure out how/why they got there?! :? Herfront half & stomach, & back paws(by the nail areaonly)are the only white parts on her, so I checked her overreal quick to see if I could spot anything wrong but nothing.. she'seating, drinking, playing & doing everything else like normal.

I don't think she's having a false pregnancy cause it wasn't a lot offur, it was just a little bit (enough to make me worry)& didn't appear to be in a nest form.

So, to see if she'd do whatever or lose anymore again, i took out thefur & when I came home there wasn't any more in her cage. Itwas just strange.. I'm thinking maybe she had something stuck in herfur so she pulled it out to get rid of whatever, or that maybe it wasjust fur from her stomach that she wasn't done shedding yet? I brushher a lot when she's shedding but her stomach is the one area I don'tget to brush.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

~pam

I think maybe it is just shedding but please checkand make sure there are no marks or signs of anything on her belly. Ihad one who was pulling out fur and she had a small piece of hard candyfrom the girl scout meeting on her fur and was trying to get it off

Hi Pamela,

Is there a chance that the fur was pushed off into a corner or on a bedor on stuffed animals/toys and you hadn't noticed it? Perhaps as shewas moving around today, she kicked some of it up?

This is the prime season, as you know, for shedding. Were they loose clumps of fur or heavy ones?

If she's eating, drinking, has hay and the clumps were on the lighterside, I wouldn't be too concerned since you've checked her over and allelse is fine. A piece of pineapple or added timothy hay would be mostwelcome to her system if she is pulling that much out of her.

-Carolyn

When I checked her over, there was nothing on herfur at all, even on her stomach. She had been in her cage since lastnite so I know there wasn't any bits of candy or anything in her fursince she wasn't out and it wasn't there when I gave her good nitekisses.

Carolyn - To be honest, I've never really noticed seeingthewhite fur in her cage.. even when she is shedding. Iusually brush her a lot to keep the loose hair amounts down. I've hadsome white hair in her brush & stuck to my hands after pettingher for a while and I've always noticed the grey hairs in her cage, butthis is the first I've seen of the white, it showed up real well causeI usethe recyclednewspaper litter (which is grey)so the white contrasts a lot on that. I didn't notice any last nightbefore I went to bed. She just has herwooden chew toys in hercage with her, aside from food & hay.

The clumps were not thick, they were sort of loose..looked like theywere just dropped more then kicked up.The only way I couldthink of describing how it lookedis how dry human hair lookslike when you cut it & it falls on the floor.. kinda spread outbut still in a pile but not perfectly piled & can still see thefloor through the strands of hair, if that makes any sense.

Since she's being her normal self.. I'm guessing she just had an itch& pulled itor left over fur from shedding or pulledit out by accident.. or maybe just decided to give herself a springhair cut? lol I'll keep an eye on her & see if I find anymorein the next few days. Thanks!:)

~pam

Hi Pamela,

I wonder if it's been around, but you've never really noticed it untilit got thick enough to see. It's easy to miss because it's so fine.

For me, it accumulates on his bed and his stuffed animals. Sometimeswhen I wipe up the corners of the cage or dump the litter, I'm amazedat how much fur I take out, especially this time of the year.

-Carolyn

pamela227 wrote:
I don't think she's having a false pregnancy cause it wasn't a lot offur, it was just a little bit (enough to make me worry)& didn't appear to be in a nest form.

Young or inexperienced females sometimes pull just a little fur out. Itcould be a mild case of "I want babies". Pandemonium pulls clumps outevery now and then. And it's from the belly, usually. It's not alwaysin a nest, though it can be.

Bunbun's male, but his hair falls out in clumps in the spring molt. Don't know why--when he sheds, he does it violently! hehe

Probably nothing to worry about, especially if you don't see any more.

Rsoe

Back