Clump of fur stuck near rabbit's bottom?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowball112

Reaction score
I've looked this situation up and a lot of similar situations simply seem to be poop. I don't know, I don't really see poop, it's just a clump of fur that's.. stuck there and I'm not sure what to do. It might still be poop though! What do i do? The fur at the end seems to be getting dirty...

A bit of background, we fed our bun pellets for a long time and she never really liked hay. Now we have started to switch her diet and make sure she eats properly, but recently her poop has not been the best. We have tried slowly switching her diet, but it does not seem to work. Should I keep her on the 1/4 pellets, unlimited hay, 1 or 2 cup vegetable diet, and hope the problem goes away?

What kind of pellets? Make sure it's not a treat mix. Many people think that's what is best but no. Also about the fur clumps. Is it a angora or woolly jersey (or some other long haired rabbit)? I so, thats normal for them to get tangled clumps and is easy to fix. You just need to brush her. Just try cutting the clumps out, no need to say be careful not to get too close to her skin. Also Bunster used to have a hard time cleaning her bum. The fur would get brownish probably just from sitting and such. I'd just give her a bum-bath or cut it off. This is a link to the pellets I like to get. One bag usually lasts a month or two. I really like it since its non-GMO and has no artificial flavors or preservatives. It also has long fibers :) Versele-Laga Complete All-In-One Adult Rabbit Food, 3 lbs. | Petco If the rabbit won't eat, i would leave it be for a day and see what happens. You could also try introducing some grass just make sure it isn't sprayed with chemicals.

Last edited:
What kind of pellets? Make sure it's not a treat mix. Many people think that's what is best but no. Also about the fur clumps. Is it a angora or woolly jersey (or some other long haired rabbit)? I so, thats normal for them to get tangled clumps and is easy to fix. You just need to brush her. Just try cutting the clumps out, no need to say be careful not to get too close to her skin. Also Bunster used to have a hard time cleaning her bum. The fur would get brownish probably just from sitting and such. I'd just give her a bum-bath or cut it off.
We used to feed her normal pellets, and I think we had this problem once in the past, but it wasn't a big deal and it went a way rather quickly. Recently, the pellets we used to buy ran out one day, and we had to get the "premium" pellets... this contained pellets with sunflower seeds and extra stuff like that. Could this have been the problem?

For her fur? Maybe. I would switch back to normal pellets and see if it goes away though. No rabbit should ever have that mix. Maybe you could pick the treats (or sunflowers or whatever) out until you have a chance to get different pellets?

For her fur? Maybe. I would switch back to normal pellets and see if it goes away though. No rabbit should ever have that mix. Maybe you could pick the treats (or sunflowers or whatever) out until you have a chance to get different pellets?
Ah not really the fur, mostly about her diet in general I guess... Thanks for the help though!

I've looked this situation up and a lot of similar situations simply seem to be poop. I don't know, I don't really see poop, it's just a clump of fur that's.. stuck there and I'm not sure what to do. It might still be poop though! What do i do? The fur at the end seems to be getting dirty...

A bit of background, we fed our bun pellets for a long time and she never really liked hay. Now we have started to switch her diet and make sure she eats properly, but recently her poop has not been the best. We have tried slowly switching her diet, but it does not seem to work. Should I keep her on the 1/4 pellets, unlimited hay, 1 or 2 cup vegetable diet, and hope the problem goes away?
So , the fur might be a mat .
How much does she weigh?
Per 2 pound they should have around a cup , unlimited hay
And for pellets , 1/4 cup per 5 pound is the recommended pellets

Back