Clipping rabbit nails - Tips?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l.lai

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering if you have any tips on clipping rabbit nails?

I've seen this image before, how accurate is it?

nail_clipping_illustration.gif

I just dont want to hurt my bunny and ruin the trust i've built with him, he's so cute and sweet now and im worried if i hurt him i'll be back at square one.

The diagram is quite accurate to my knowalgle.
I wrap my bunnies up in a towel so they cant kick or scracht me.
If you happen to hurt him, he will forgive you in a few days, I've done it before nad he was fine after a few cuddles and treats.
good luck.

It is difficult to get the hang of it, I also wrap my rabbits up in a towel. First I have their back feet sticking out, for me they are always the easiest and then I clip those. Then I wrap up their bottom feet and have their front feet sticking out and clip those. :)

the only way i can see to cut my rexes black nails is to wear hubby's head torch. it has a really bright narrow beam and leaves my hands free.

i cant do links:pbut in the lagomorph library there are some great tips by jadeicing.

I think it's pretty hard to get the clipping as accurate as the diagram suggests. The main thing is to be relaxed when you're doing it; that will make the experience much easier for everyone! :)

I have found that the front feet are a lot easier to spread the toe nails out. Rabbits seem particularly sensitive about their powerful hind feet.

If your rabbit has brown/black nails the easiest thing to do is put a flashlight up to them (you can see right through their nails, showing where the blood is) ^^
I do this every single time with Bentley, otherwise I end up cutting her nail to short.

I don't go by any drawing. Best thing to do is to just clip the tips. That way, you hit the quick either, and it's just fine. If you want to dwelge deeper, there are vids on YouTube. Hang on, let me get you one off of our Library!:)

Here ya go! There should be some good stuff here:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12075&forum_id=17

Check out the Naturestee and JadeIcing posts!:D

Latest posts

Back