clipping a rabbits nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RABBIT#1

Reaction score
How do I clip My rabbit's nails? They aregetting awfully long! Is there a special type of nail cutter oranything like that? THANKS! RABBIT#1

I have metal guillotine (sp?) style nailclippers that we had for our dogs that work well. You can useregular human clippers too, but sometimes that's harder if the nailsare thicker.

I think it's easier to use the human clippers, Iactually use the small version and they work great! I don'tcare for the dog kind, hardfor me to see what I'm doing. :D

I use human nail clippers too. But I hateclipping nails, especially Berri's and Ebony's (black fur, blacknails!), I'm always so scared I'll cut the quick!:faint: Is it trueflour works well for stopping bleeding if you do? I think i read thaton here somewhere...

Michaela:brownbunny

.. I don't know about rabbits, butI doknow about birds (for quick cuts in wing clipping), and I suppose thesame principle would apply. I think there's a product calledQuikStop or something you can get, but flour works well as a substitute.

Flour should only be used to stop the bleeding, however.
Again, I speak only from bird-view, but they need to be taken to thevet immediately AFTER applying the flour, as flour without a vet willre-open the wound, and vet without the flour first will cause yourrabbit.. bird.. to bleed all over and possibly to death. :/

Michaela, I was actually the one that saidthat. I have never had to do it to see if it works, but Iread that on the HRS website, I think, it was a few yearsago. :D

I had a rabbit w/ dark nails too, so I just clipped the tips off sothere wouldn't be a chance of cutting into the quick and it alwaysworked fine.

For those of you that do use the nail grinderplease keep in mind that they get hot fast so keep lifting it off theirnails. I recieved a manicure kit as a gift and did not realize how hotit got and it was an unpleasant experience. Just a thought, since youreally don't know how it feels for them - I was able to jerk awayimmediately, although it hurt for awhile.:(

good idea though.

To RABBIT#1 up there, I would also like to addthat a lot of people like to trance their rabbits before clipping nails- no more squirming. If you don't know what it is, may Isuggest you visit the Bunny 101 area on trancing here.

However, after that, may I also suggest you get some other opinions on that.
Because trancing is a prey instinct for rabbits, some people find itcruel and stress-inducing. Other bunnies seem to enjoyit. It depends on the rabbit, but I'd still ask around hereabout it if I were you.

Best to be educated.

I use cat nail clippers. they are alotsmaller than dog clippers and you dont have to wrry about cutting toomuch becuase you can see alot better than with larger clippers.

As for doing the clipping, I opened the cage door and let Kahlua hopover to me ( ihad treats in my hand). I had my husband gentlyscruff her and I put a little blanket over her and pulled one footoutat a time and quickly clipped the nails. On hersyou can see where the quick is so I know where to stopcutting. She got kinda impatient with the last foot but wasvery good otherwise. I have heard of people doing it whentheir bunnies are tranced too but I havent done it that way myself.

i use a Guillotine nail clippers and incase theystart bleeding i have kwik stop - styptic powder ready, i have heardflour works just as good

I use dog clippers but the scissor style not theguillotine. I have tried using flour but it never seems to clotas well. I have used corn starch and that works well. Butthe best thing I have used is an ice cube wrapped in a papertowel. The vet recommended it when I accidently clipped Hazel'snail too close. The ice cube trick worked the best. I justpressed it against the cut end of the nail and it helps thicken andslow the blood flow. It clots a lot faster.

Canela I was just going to ask if a towel orblanket was a good option. I know with our sugar gliders we would placethem under a kitchen towel and while my husband would hold them underthe towel I would grab one leg at a time and clip the nails. Thisalways worked well and after a couple times of doing it they no longereven struggled as they realized what was going to happen and theyweren't afraid anymore. I think blindfolding them and holding themseems to take some of the stress away. I am glad to see that this alsoworks with rabbits as it is something I am already familiar with. Lilyis in desperate need of a nail clipping as well, but I wasn't sure howto go about it since she isn't even used to me yet. :) Thanks so muchfor the information.

Latest posts

Back