clipped nails for the first time at home!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiced77

Reaction score
we usually have the vets clip our two.. because iwas chicken :p but they were getting reallllly long again and we justdont have the time/money to spend it on something we could easily do athome... surprisingly they tranced ok. had to take a break between frontand back feet, but hubby and i did it lol! who knew clipping nailswould be so exciting... and they dont seem like they hate us completelyyet lol.. princess is sort of pouting, but will allow pets.. mr licksis hiding in his usual spot, but that's not unlike him.. soif you havent tried clipping at home, give it a go! it was a littlescary, but so much easier than i thought it would be..

We have done it too, and it was fun. My husband even got kisses, so not fair.
The bunny was in shock for about 2 minutes, then he ate his raisins and went off hopping.

here's a few trancy pics.. princess looks sosweet like a little baby.. mr licks looks like we're doing somethinghorrible to him! that's his trick though..he only trances for a fewminutes then he tries to escape! they both got appleafterwards..they've never been so upset that they'd refuse apple!

princessburrito.jpg

princessburrito2.jpg

mrlicksburrito.jpg

Look at those lips!That is too cute! So glad to hear you braved the big, bad deed and gotthe job done! And came away with no wounds!:cool:

Raspberry

mrlicksburrito.jpg

Aren't bunny lips the cutest?! His are adorable! those teeth showing! hehehehe

Oh yeah, great job getting those bunnies nails done! :D

I always cliped my rabbits nails (luckly almostall of them had clear nails) Sadily almost every time eaterIor the rabbit would end up bleading:( Quick stop blood powerworks wonders when you nic a quick.

Thanks, Spiced 77. After reading ofyour experience I got the courage to try and clip Sherman'snails. He fought me tooth and nail, but I got both of hisfront paws clipped. Tonight I have to do his backpaws.

He rolled his eyes at me so hard and long last night that I thoughtthat they were going to roll out of his head!LOL!

Welcome to the forum loplover. I'm also a newbie.

Clipping bunnie nails is always a major event in our house. Definatelya two person job. Benji sometimes requires three sets of hands. Benjiis a Havana bunnie. He's black with grey on the bottoms of his paws.Kinda looks like he ran through ashes. In fact, we almost named him"Ashe". His nails are black and it makes it very difficult to judgewhere the quick is. We've drawn blood a few times (from us and thebun!) and I've use cornstarch in an emergency. Seems to work well,however it's not the most sterile thing that can be used. Go for theQuick Stop if available.

I've used some different things for injuries (mostly to dogs and cats).Our dog cut the pad on one of his paws when we were hiking one day. Wewere a couple of miles out and it was bleeding preety good. We couldn'tcarry her and she couldn't walk on it very well. We used good old"Super Glue". It kinda works like surgical glue, but not as sterile. Myvet was very impressed. Doggy was able to hike all the way back withlittle or no pain and it kept it very clean.

Bad cut on the kitty's leg from fighting was wrapped in plastic wrap(Syran Wrap). It's clean, applies good direct pressure, and best of allit doesn't stick to the fur! Kitty appreciated that! Another impressedvet!

Latest posts

Back