Clipped nail too short

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I follow the same pattern Randy does. It seems that holding the buns on their backs is pretty good. If they get agitated I just let them run and try again later. My buns seem to prefer if there are no other buns in the room when having nails done. Don't know why, but they are more relaxed if they are getting one-on-one attention.

I used to sit the bunny on the floor, straddle it, and hold the paws to clip. But one time doing that, Gingivere tried to get away, snagged her claw on my jeans, and the entire thing pulled out!!! :shock:

It only bled for a short time. I called the vet who assured me that if the bleeding stopped we were ok. I only need to keep an eye on that claw to make certain that it does not become too curled or ingrown. That was about 2 years ago, and no problems so far.

Good thing their claws don't need daily trims...we'd all be nervous wrecks!

Thanks Randy and Bunnicula :)

I've tried trancing- but it never seems to work- can you guys give me some tips?
Benji will N-O-T have it. He is the kindest natured little guy ull ever meet but for some reason he absolutely detests being turned upside down.

Pippin is better- perhaps cos I've had him as a baby- _ can turn him over- he'll take that. But letting go, he just turns over. Sometimes he just struggles till I put him down- I don't persist too much cos I dont want to stress him out. I've tried doing it slowly, I've tried doing it fast- I've tried making little cooing noises, I've tried stroking him lots while doing it, I've tried hugging him really close to me and then letting go slowly.

What can I do? lol!

Some rabbits just don't like being tranced and may find it too stressful. If he is a bit twitchy when you cut his nails and you can't trance him comfortably then get himused to having his paws and nails touched daily so thatwhen you come to cut them he is used to you doing it.It'snot one of myfavourite jobs and I think my rabbits hate it as much as I do - perhaps they can read my thoughts!

Clipping nails is one thing thats really never bothered me...I've always cutmy pets, and the bunnies that stay at our house. I did cut too close to the quick once, and Pebbles flicked her paws and there was blood all over the place. Good experience though.

Rainbows! :)

jcottonl02 wrote:
Thanks Randy and Bunnicula :)

I've tried trancing- but it never seems to work- can you guys give me some tips?
Benji will N-O-T have it. He is the kindest natured little guy ull ever meet but for some reason he absolutely detests being turned upside down.

Pippin is better- perhaps cos I've had him as a baby- _ can turn him over- he'll take that. But letting go, he just turns over. Sometimes he just struggles till I put him down- I don't persist too much cos I dont want to stress him out. I've tried doing it slowly, I've tried doing it fast- I've tried making little cooing noises, I've tried stroking him lots while doing it, I've tried hugging him really close to me and then letting go slowly.

What can I do? lol!

Gingivere is the hardest for me. She's the one who demands that no other bunnies be watching her when she gets a pedicure.

What I do first is to get all of my supplies together (clippers, styptic pen, good lighting, tie my hair out of the way, etc.). I go to a quiet room - preferably not the one where she usually lives. I like to sit on the floor with my legs extended and knees slightly bent. That position seems to give her the support for her back that she needs. I lay her with her head on my abdomen and rear feet towards my knees. Usually I start with the front feet - dew claws first because they are the most difficult to find (that's the one she lost) and require the most manipulation. If at any time she gets too worked up, I simply let her run about for a few minutes. And I try to keep track of which nails I've already gotten. That way if I have to give up and try again later or the next day I know where to begin.

She almost always has a case of twitchy rear legs when I am doing this, but it seems that gently rubbing the bottoms of her feet settles her down.

I don't know if this method will work for you, but it has helped me. Oh, and I always treat her to a piece of fresh fruit afterwards as a reward for her good behavior.

Hope all goes well next time you trim. Keep us posted!

Thanks guys :D

I will try all those things n let u know how it goes :)

We HAVE all done it. AND we've ALL felt rotten about it!

Glad you care about your bunnies- the worry is when people don't bother to try to help them!

Yeah I know- I really worry about that too. It's such a shame we have to worry about it- it shouldn't be an issue. :(

Hi. The best thing you can do is buy a bottle of quick clot. It is a yellow powder. Keep it handy when you are trimming your bunnies nails. If you cut the nail too short, and it starts to bleed. Just dip a wet Q tip into the powder, and apply it directly on the bleeding nail. It will stop the bleeding instantly. You can buy the quick clot powder at your local vet. The nail probably won't get infected. Specially if it is an indoor bunny. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back