Clipped nail too short

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcottonl02

Reaction score
I've clipped Benji's nails before- about 4 months ago, and I clipped them again today- they didn't really need doing but I only took the very tips off and it was fine.

Then i did Pippin's for the first time- everything was fine- he was pulling his paws away from me all the time but I thought everything was okay. When I was finished he ate his treats fine- didn't seem agitated or anything, then I noticed a little bit of blood on his foot.

I have cut one of his nails a little bit too short!!!! It must have been while he was pulling his paw away!!!

I feel so terrible- I can't believe I did that. I feel so sick and now I'm stressing that infection will get in or something. I hope he's not in pain.

He's just been sitting there licking it which has made me feel even worse- he seems quite calm but I still feel awful. :(:(:(

Can anyone tell me anything to help??

:(:(:(:(

It's okay, I think we've all done it. Don't worry.

If it hasn't stopped bleeding you can use some stiptic powder (or however you spell that) or flour or cornstarch to stop the bleeding. If it has, there isn't really anything you can do that I know of.

Oh good.....I was feeling so ashamed. I mean- I'm not glad uv all done it too I'm just I'm not the only one.

It's not bleeding much- just a little- but it shows up so horribly red on his white fur.

He's lying on me now with his little feet stretched right out so it looks like he's relaxed- thank God. And he's just been washing. That makes me feel so much better.

Do I need to cover it or something- sounds stupid I know, but just so it doesn't get infected or something?

Okay. Thanks so much for ur help.

Feeling a little better. And he's licked all the blood off and it's not bleeding at all any more so that's good.

Thanks

He should be just fine. It's perfectly normal to overreact also. I think we've all done that too. Better to overreact than to underreact, right.

Oh yes, if you clip a nail to short a couple times, it doesn't put them in any extreme agony or anything. I did it one time with Butter (And with rabbits in the past; accidents happen :?) , and he jumped, but after that, it didn't seem to bother him. We put either septic powder or corn starch on it, and it does fine after that. :)
If you still feel bad, though, you can give him a little extra treat for his trouble, and I'm sure he'll forget all about it ;)

Yeah it is better to overreact- much better. I've just been out to check on him again and he seems fine.
So phew. I still feel bad- but not as bad.
I think my stomach will be turning over for a few days- but I am a worrier.

Butterfinger- I was so shocked when i saw the blood- I mean- I know it can happen but I always cut too little, just to be on the safe side. I guess seeing blood just made me think OH MY GOD!!! And I kind of carried him round the house in a frenzy searching for a soft tissue to put against it, so now I've got blood on my top. No woz it will come out. And i dont mind anyway.
Yeah I bought loads of new treats today- from the natural section in Pets at Home- and one of them were 100% carrot sticks (only ingredient carrot) so i gave him a few of those and he gobbled them up.
And then for some really odd reason he started licking me. He's never done that before and he just started doing it for ages! So maybe he was saying 'it's okay I still love you'. I hope so anyway lol!

Thnks for replying n being so helpful n nice

:)

This happened to me for the first time last week with Basil. He's 7 and Ive never hit the quick on him before. He pulled as I clipped and OMG it was bleeding more than anything Ive ever seen. It literally bled for at least 40 min. even though I kept putting pressure on it and used flour. :(My poor little man.

So I know how stressful it is, but he'll be fine. It happens to all of us at one point.

Thanks Haley :)

If it's happened to you guys then it makes me feel so much better- cos you guys all seem really good with ur bunnies- really fantastic owners.

I think that must have been what happened with Pippin- he was pulling his little paws away all the time. It didn't bleed for that long- just about 5 mins and then he licked it clean and I think it's stopped now.

7 years old? Wow you've had him a while. What breed is he?

Yeah, we have all done it, don't feel bad. Especially for those of us who have a lot of rabbits. I clipped six rabbits yesterday, and one of them I got too close. And of course, it was the only white one, and you're right, it does show up horribly. Just keep some flour or the styptic powder on hand, and it's no big deal. ONe thing I do when I do nails-set the clippers on the nail where you want to make the cut, and just apply some pressure without cutting. If they pull away, then you are too close and you know to move the clippers back some.

jcottonl02 wrote:
If it's happened to you guys then it makes me feel so much better- cos you guys all seem really good with ur bunnies- really fantastic owners.

7 years old? Wow you've had him a while. What breed is he?
aww thats sweet of you. Basil is a blue tort dutch. Hes really the best. :)

Interesting- didn't know that. I will try that next time- that is, if I have the guts to do it myself again, rather than taking them to the vet.

Thing is- the left foot is always fine, becuase I hold with my left and clip with my right. When it comes to holding their right foot- their head gets in the way and they struggle and I can't keep hold- and it was his right foot. So I try and be as quick as i can before he pulls it away.

I guess I'll have to have someone with me to hold his foot while I clip or the other way round.

Do you do it by urself or with someone else?

lol :)

A dutch? Wow- i really like them. The colours on their coats seem so defined- like they've been painted or something. I love lops too. And the giants. So cute. And the teensy netherland dwarfs and lionheads- oh god I just love them all lol!!!!!

I too just clipped a little to short this weekend and dint realize it till I put Rainbow down I felt horrible I have never done this before but I allways have some wonder dust with me when I do monthly clippings.

I clipped one of Georgie's nails too short the first time I trimmed them...I felt SO bad.

Future reference--corn starch works better than flour, from what I've noticed. When I do my dog's nails, if I don't have any styptic powder then I keep corn starch handy. I've only hit the quick a handful of times in 2 years (he's REALLY squirmy!), but it's never seemed to bother him THAT much, thank god!

jcottonl02 wrote:
I guess I'll have to have someone with me to hold his foot while I clip or the other way round.

Do you do it by urself or with someone else?

I always inlist my boyfriend for some help. The lighter nails are easier to cut because you can see the quick. I have one rabbits with dark nails so I use a torch when I'm clipping, the other one has light nails so it's easy to see.

We have had one slight accident with Lacey - my boyfriend was clipping and like you, he just caught the end of the quick and it bled for ages. That was before someone suggested using a torch! If you do catch them, bicarbonate of soda also works well to stop the bleeding.

How lovely that Pippin licked you. He must have sensed that you were upset and he was just telling you that it's ok ;)

Thanks everyone :)

Rabb1tmad- thanks- yeah it's strange becuase he's never licked me before. I hope he was saying that. Both Pippin's and Benji's nails are fairly light, so as long as I have a good overhead light I can see the quick quite easily. But Pippin has such tiny paws he can whip them out of my hands so easily, and I don't want to hold them hard and hurt my little baby's paw. Well if its either that or cutting his nail too short, I choose holding his paw hard.

I just went out to see him again and he is absolutely fine. i checked his little paw and there is no more blood and the nail just looks like a normal one....but a bit shorter....:expressionless

And I gave him some of this new Jeruslalam Artichoke, rose petal and nettle mix and he really liked that. I gave him the whole pot so he could pick out the bits he liked best :) Then Benji started stamping his foot!!!!! And I was like 'hold on, young man! Your turn is coming!!!!'

Bless him. I guess he's not used to anyone else being first.

Hi,

"Quicking" the nails goes with the territory...it's going to happen.It stings for a minute or two but thediscomfort will pass quickly...but I think it is more traumatic on us than the buns. We do nail clippings by "trancing" and rolling the buns over on their backs between our legs. Works great and allows nail clipping by only one person without having to tug and hold legs. And the best thing to stop bleeding...and some of the ones mentioned are good too...is Styptic Powder. Any pet store should carry it and it is not expensive. Sofa, clippers, flashlight and Styptic Powder are all part of our buns' "Spa Day".

Randy

Latest posts

Back