Clementine peel?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
Can rabbits eat clementines, and most importantly, the peel?

Steve went into the bedroom the other day innocently eating an orange. Dotty apparently went CRAZY trying to get the peel from him. She was interested in the actual fruit as well but most importantly the peel- Steve had the peel in one hand and the orange in the other and he said she nearly chewed his arm off!!

He didn't give her any, but is it safe to eat? I couldn't find it on the links that I looked at... but I might have missed some....

Thanks! :)

I forget why orange peels aren't recommended, but they're not toxic or anything except maybe in large amounts.

Rabbits really do have a great capacity for digestion, and a lot of the 'toxic to rabbits' sites are overstating what really are minor issues, often just nutritional.

In other words, don't make them part of their diets, but don't worry about it if they eat them.

I had to laugh the other day when somebody sent me a post about a shelter volunteer going into the pen and picking out all the iceberg lettuce leafs from a big batch of vegetables donated by a produce company.

:laughsmiley:

It's not recommended that you feed your kids McDonalds burgers, but you don't have to call the doctor if they eat one. Some people's interpretations are rather bizarre.

sas ;)

Yeah, they don't recommend doritos or french fries or pizza..... but someone around here has bunnieswho really like all of those things....:shock:

Bo is so picky! he doesn't like anything like that! Lexi sticks all sorts of things under his nose and he shakes and snorts like "EWWW YUCK!!!"

I've fed my buns a few bits of orange peel before. They also love banana peel. It hasn't affected them in any way.

In moderation, I haven't seen any problems arise. The peel has all the vitamins anyways...

--Dawn

Oh LOL!! You guys made me laugh!

I guess from now on I'll tell Steve to just eat his orange quietly in another room, just to be on the safe side, and to take in banana instead! From the way he described it, I don't think Dotty would settle for just an 'accidental' piece lol :shock:

I did wonder originally if it was because of possible pesticides, but then I realised that was silly because of all the other veg that doesn't have peel lol... :craziness

I just thoughtof something interesting..

we impose strict healthy diets on our pets because they have no ability to control their own diets.

if people did they same things to themselves everyone would would probably live longer.

we don't call posion control if westuff oursleveson candy or something ...

sort of interesting .........:D

LOL! I'm sure if i just ate hay and veggies all day I'd be the size 10 I've always dreamed of being lol... :p

Of course as a bunny there is no chocolate, cheese or anything! :shock:

In my botany class, we learned that the peel of any hesperidium, like lime, lemon or orange species, contains essential oils, which perform protective measures against insects (toxic to some bugs). The oils are in the little pore like parts of the peel.
I would assume that there's concern about that property, but considering that we consume lemon and orange peel or zest readily, I think the bun would manage a bit of it...

:roflmao:Bo B Bunny wrote:
kherrmann3 wrote:
mouse_chalk wrote:
LOL! I'm sure if i just ate hay and veggies all day I'd be the size 10 I've always dreamed of being lol... :p
Have fun "processing" that hay! :shock:

:roflmao:

We'd all have to have a BIG litterbox!
:roflmao:I am laughing at the response I just wrote to this post and then had to delete because it was "litterbox" humor and not appropriate for this forum

Pipp wrote:
I had to laugh the other day when somebody sent me a post about a shelter volunteer going into the pen and picking out all the iceberg lettuce leafs from a big batch of vegetables donated by a produce company.

:laughsmiley:

sas ;)
I had a rabbit 30 year ago get HORRIBLE diarrhea and DIE because I fed it iceberg lettuce. It was horrible horrible horrible :cry1:! I would NEVER feed a rabbit that again as long as I live.

My rabbits occasionally get a fruit salad, with oranges, apples, banana, mango and pineapple. They generally eat it all, especially the oranges. Never had a problem. The only thing I remove are the seeds and the mango and pineapple peels. I do have a couple that won't eat the orange skin. And I have a few that won't TOUCH pineapple... but they are entitled their likes and dislikes...

BlueGiants wrote:
My rabbits occasionally get a fruit salad, with oranges, apples, banana, mango and pineapple. They generally eat it all, especially the oranges. Never had a problem. The only thing I remove are the seeds and the mango and pineapple peels. I do have a couple that won't eat the orange skin. And I have a few that won't TOUCH pineapple... but they are entitled their likes and dislikes...
Oooh including the orange peel?

That sounds like a yummy fruit salad... wanna make some for me?! :biggrin2:

Yes, I leave the peels on... just cut them up and pop out the seeds.

Would be happy to make you a fruit salad! For you, I'd even remove the peels! LOL!

The salad changes according to what I can get at the market. They like strawberries when they are in season, and peaches from my tree when they come in too.

Back