Cleaning With Ammonia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luken Messy

Reaction score
My friend's friendis battling some illness with her rabbits that is causing them to die suddenly. She just lost three about two weeks ago and one today. She has a friend who was battling some illness among her rabbits and I don't know the spelling of it, but her friend had to clean everything withAmmonia and treat with Sul-Met in the drinking water. I don't know what her friend is doing about the vet deal, but is Ammonia a smart choice? What do you do to make sure everything is totally off it? What is Sul-Met? What advice can I pass along to my friend for her to pass along besides a vet? Thanks!

Sulmet is medication used in livestock to treat cocci. That all I know about it.
I have used it in goats and sheep.

As for the ammonia, I would use bleach! Ammonia, IMO is to harsh in fumes and not as good as a disinfectant as bleach.
Use bleach diluted with water. I dont remember the ratio for a disinfecting.
I use vinegar for cleaning and have a closed rabbitry so no pathogens can get to my buns, I hope.

That's what I thought with the Ammonia, but they said this thing called "Coxsidia" (sp?) is only killed with Ammonia. My rabbits were around her healthy bunnies, I am concerned now. Should I give them some Sulmet?

I would definitely use a 20% bleach solution to clean out the cages your rabbits are in - just in case they're currently carrying it. It might not hurt to give them Sulmet - some people believe in doing that as preventative medicine while others prefer to wait and see if perhaps they develop an immunity on their own. Since I have multiple rabbits - I keep Sulmet on hand in case I see any signs of coccidia.

I clean with Vanodine FAM. It is a iodine ocmplex disinfectant. It is broad spectrum, kills bacteria, fungi and viruses. It cleans and disinfects in one operation. It can also be used for aerial disinfection, and may be used to sanitize drinking water systems. I use it to clean food and water bowls. It comes in a highly concentrated form, and one bottle lasts a long time. I buy it online, but google it to find the best price. Good for pets and livestock, but I would not use it for cats, as they can be sensitive to iodine.

Latest posts

Back