Cleaning rabbits chin following dental surgery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrsquirkytaylor

Reaction score
Hi all!

My little Theo began drooling last week and I noticed a build up under his chin. I knew right away that this was something dental related so he had some surgery on Monday.

He’s back to his normal cheeky self now and the vet was really pleased with the work on the teeth and how well he did during the process.

I was surprised however, that the vets hadn’t seemed to clean under his chin whilst he was asleep. He was also wet around his eyes and his head. Although his eye and head fur is now back to normal, I’m concerned that under his chin where his original slobber was is dirty and slightly matted.

Theo is not at all happy to be handled and is very particular about not being touched on his chin. I just wondered if this would eventually go now he is not drooling and he could possibly clean it himself, or will it just get worse if i don’t try and clean him?

I’d appreciate advice from those in similar situations previously.

Thank you so much,
Theo’s Mum

I would try and clean it. Actually I had to do this today. One of my buns got something one their back not a clue what it is but I just took them and placed them on the counter with a towel underneath. I did this in a garage with counters higher than kitchen counters but you could do this on your bed it would be much easier. I lean down and place their heads in my elbow and wrap my arm around to their butt and hold them tight not enough to hurt them but enough for them not to fight and feel they are safe. What you will have to do with him is do this the opposite way. and take a warm wet washcloth and wipe it until it is clean then take a dry washcloth and dry it until it is completely dry. If he fights too much to dry it all the way its ok if its warm in your house but try to get it as dry as you can. If you can't get it dry at all then you may need to take a hairdryer to it and I say this with EXTREME CAUTION and ONLY AS A LAST RESORT. Make sure the end is on low and is as far away from the bun as you can get and you may need two people (one to hold the other to dry) If you can feel it on your hand when the other is blow drying and it is too warm for you then it is way too warm for bun. Make sure you do not blow air into the ears. But please only use the dryer if you absolutely have to.

He may be able to clean it up himself depending on the exact location and if his paws reach the area easily. But if not, then now that the drooling has stopped I would either leave it and it will eventually shed out with the next molt or try and clean it up, maybe burrito wrapping him in a towel so he doesn't struggle and using a warm wet cloth. I would just make sure to allow it to dry thoroughly before he is put out or allowed in a cold environment, and also during the cleaning and being burrito wrapped it's still important to be very careful as rabbits can still injure themselves if they struggle too much and are restrained too forcefully and/or incorrectly.

Latest posts

Back