Cleaning/ Litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sukichan

Reaction score
Ok, so I've had D'arcy and Bailey for more than a week now. My first question is: I can't seem to get them to poop in their litter... and they poop so much that the cage is seriously disastrous every day. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them completely litter trained? I've been having some success in having them pee in their litter. And until that is successful does anyone have a good idea on how to easiest clean this up? They are in a NIC cage and the flooring is wrapped in a fleece blanket, its very tedious to take it apart every day to sweep the floor and shake the blanket outside.

be interested what experienced bun owners advise on this as i have a similar prob all wee`s in tray plus some poop but poop next to the tray too !!!

We have8 trained bunns and we are currently litter training a little guy about 10 weeks old...He has gotten to the point where he will use the litterbox for pee and poops IF he is locked up in his cage...but if he is out running he is a disaster! ( I have also noticed it seems to be harder training more than one at a time...not impossible...just takes longer!)

We usually start with loads of repetition...when they poop on the floor or somewhere they aren't supposed to we pick up the poops and put them in the litterbox...if they are peeing outside the litterbox we reduce their run area and if they have a fav area where they like to pee we put a litterbox there for them and then gradually move it back to where we want it...

Spaying and neutering will help quite a bit!

And finally this wonderful nugget of wisdom from our vet: "If they are peeing in the litterbox, count your blessings...as for the pooping that's why God invented the hand vacuum!"

Danielle

Put some hay in the litter tray and no where else. They will then poop and pee in the litter tray. They like to eat hay whilst pooing! :p

Sox has only ever pee'd out of the litter tray one, her very first day. At that time I had hay all over the hutch, only did what the pet shops do. But since I put the hay only in the litter tray, my problem ended. At one stage there was pee sprayed on the walls and I thought she may be a male spraying .... later I realised that a cat litter tray is way too shallow and I now have an extremely large and extremely high-back corner litter tray.

You will still find a few poo pebbles here and there all over the place but that I believe is normal, they apparently are marking their territory. Poop in a heap/pile shows that they are actually really pooing in that spot.

As for the floor of the NIC cage, how about trying to use pieces of tiles instead of fleece? I know it can get rather cold. Or why don't you get those pieces of tile carpets? I use tile carpets in my hutch (in preparation for her release into the open house). Keep a dust pan around and sweep it every day. I too use fleece in the play pen and it's such a pain alright!

Good luck

PS ... Baxter, I haven't forgotten, just got to do that stuff at work - Monday.

Like the above post mention, it just take a bit of time and patience. When we first bought all of ours home, none were potty trained. With Baci, when he was loose, we noticed he would poop in a particular spot, so we would just put the litter box there. We had to change it a couple of times before he finally got the hint! Then with the girls, we would just pick up the poop and put it in there litterbox, also if we catch them pooping outside, we would pick them up and put them in the litter box. Sebastian, would only poop on the left corner of his cage, so that's where the litter box went. Now that he's cage free, we built a high radiator cover so he could have a view of the outside while he poops. Of course it had to be the left corner of the window!

Latest posts

Back