Cleaning ears....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aki

Reaction score
Hello,

until now, I always had rabbits with helicopter or uppy ears and, considering they were always kept in pair they always cleaned each other ears without any problem. But I got a real dwarf lop some weeks ago and I read articles saying that it was best to clean lop's ears with a special product at least once or twice a month. So, I was wondering what you were doing with your own rabbits. My rabbits already hate to have their nails trimmed so I am not really relishing the idea of the added stress, but well... if it's necessary...
Thanks!

I have two lops, one is 8 and I've never had to clean either of their ears. But I know that some lops do have problems with build up in their ears and will need help cleaning them. You could take your bun in for a check up and have your vet check the ears. If it's a problem for your bun, your vet can show you how to check the ears and keep them clean.

same here JBun, my lop is 8 and i've never cleaned his ears and never had them checked at the vets until recently. most lops are very affectionate and will enjoy being touched/stroked/groomed so i just incorporate a quick ear check into that, mostly just involves running a clean thumb across the main part of the ear to make sure its dry and free of cuts and bruises. you should notice you're lop will keep his own ears clean and will give them a bit of a scratch on the inside with a foot so unless he starts shaking his head a lot or scratching his ears more than normal i suspect his ears will largely take care of themselves...

Back