Cleaning Bunnies Cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper2013

Reaction score
I don't know if this goes here, but what do you all use to clean your bunnies litter boxes or the bottom of their cage?

I am afraid to use any chemicals so I have been using Sol-u-mel and a disinfectant. Both are chemical free and have natural ingredients. Do you all think this is ok?:anotherbun

I picked up this nice cage for dirt cheap off craigslist. Just the bottom was really caked up. I used just vinegar and let it set for about 45 mins. With a little scraper used just for this project it came off fairly easy.

I'm in the vinegar camp too (I also use it to clean the rest of my house), but I'd also mention that it find a little handheld broom and dustpan invaluable for sweeping up hay and stray poops.

I also use a vinegar and water mix. I also scrub out my litter boxes with regular dish soap and water, then use the vinegar mix to help with any urine stains.

For really bad cages (usually ones that are donated to the rescue), I use strait vinegar and let it soak, then a lot of scrubbing. I I usually get a cage looking like new fairly quick.

I use diluted Milton (the baby bottle sterilising fluid) I put a few caps full in hot water and use that to wash. It cleans really well, is completely non toxic and also kills any bacteria.

Bleach, well diluted and a good rinse out I find does the trick

Vinegar is good as a general cleaner but if you have to disinfect a cage or other because of a sick rabbit, I'd use a 10% bleach solution, allow it to dry and then rinse it thoroughly with water.

Thank you everyone. I hate the smell of both bleach and vinegar. I think I will keep using my Melaleuca stuff, it has made her urine smell not as strong when I clean her litter box, and it really takes off anything that might get stuck. Plus it is chemical free :) You all have cute bunnies.

Thank you everyone. I hate the smell of both bleach and vinegar. I think I will keep using my Melaleuca stuff, it has made her urine smell not as strong when I clean her litter box, and it really takes off anything that might get stuck. Plus it is chemical free :) You all have cute bunnies.

Solumel is good stuff and so is Soluguard for disinfecting. :)

I was just wondering if anyone has tried a water:lavender oil mix? Lavender is antibacterial so I had idea to use it for cleaning since it smells way better than vinegar.

You may train a bunny to do tricks, but a bunny teaches you patience and the fragile beauty of silence.

I scrub cages and litter boxes out with dishsoap after soaking in vinegar. I always do this outside so that the vinegar smell isn't too annoying. The soap makes the smell of vinegar go away and makes me feel better about the actual disinfecting.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Latest posts

Back