Cleaned rabbit hut...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot

Reaction score
Today I cleaned my rabbits hut.Well when I made itI should have designed it with hinges so I could have lifted the top up but I didn't:(So I have to put a small rake through the square cut out for the rabbits to get in and out of.There were big clumps of poo inside and I think I got most of them and the dirty straw out.I don't understand why the rabbits would poop in there when they have the ability to go outside whenever they want!I'm afraid there is some spots that I didn't get good enough.That means there still might be poo in the hut.My rabbits lay in it a lot but don't seem dirty.If there is still some poo in there that I can't get can I be harmful to my rabbits?

Thanks,

Ty

That really isn't very healthy, sorry. Can you fit a litter box in there?

A rabbit will always want to use a 'safe' area for pooping and peeing, they don't want to be at the mercy of predators at the wrong time!

Having the poops and any residue on the floor can attract flies, bacteria and parasites, and if the hutch isn't well ventilated and the ammonia smell is too strong, that can lead to respiratory diseases.

sas :p

I'm sure I could find a way to get a litter box in there.Could I use shredded paper to fill the litter box?I clean the hut out every week anyway.Isn't that enough?

I have personally found shredded paper to be pretty useless and messy. I find it really doesn't absorb much of anything and it's annoying to clean out. There are compacted wood and recycled paper pellets which are good litters. I even found a cotton litter and only use it in the litter corner. Do you put bedding everywhere in the hutch? Maybe if you made a specific corner and didn't put bedding elsewhere it would help train the bunny to go there.

Is there no way you can fix the top to put hinges in now? Pipp is right about the importance about it being cleaned thoroughly. I constantly worry about fly strike myself. :)

Back