clean?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosalie

Reaction score
can ya'll give me some tips on making my house smell nicer that are safe for my bunny bc i change her litter every 2 days and scoop 3 times a day and still smells =S is there something better to put in her litter other then wood pellets and hay to absorb the smell

I actually find Gus's litter box smells worse when there's hay in it than just the wood pellets. Hay + pee = YUCK!!! ;)

Also you could try switching her to a brand of rabbit pellets with yucca extract. Zupreem and Kaytee, I believe, both have it.

Hope that helps!

Rue

How old is she?
Best thing really is getting her spayed, especially if shes over 6month, if youre not able to handle the smell then spaying is your best bet. Most cleaning supplies will just mix with the smell making another even groser smell.
Change the litter daily and give the litter box a wipe out.

I like using the recycled newspaper pellets personally. I buy the ones made for cats but unscented and non clumping and they are much cheaper than the ferret/rabbit litter at the pet store. Maybe that would help?

Do youuse vinegar and water when you clean the box out? If there's a build up of crusty urine in there, it's going to contribute to the smell.

Otherwise, you'll just have to wait it out till you can get her spayed.

Hope that helps!

Rue

yeah i clean it out every time i change the litter grr o well i can live with the smell for her just going to have to put the birds in the guest bedroom til i can find a solution

Is it the litter box that is smelly? Some rabbits may pee over the side and this can sometimes end up on the carpet or floor. Check around the cage and clean as needed. You may want to put something easy to clean under the cage just in case.

Make sure the rest of the cage is kept clean. This may mean cleaning blankets or other bedding in the cage more often. Wipe down the cage with a vinegar/water mix as well.

You may need to use more litter in the box. Adding some newspaper or paper towel under the wood pellets could help with the smell.

Check her scent glands. These can get a waxy build up which can be stinky. This could lead to more smelly poops and a general musky odour. Clean them if needed.

Diet can play a roll. You can want to consider changing the pellets to see if it makes a difference. Other foods like fresh veggies could also be an issue. Try just giving one at a time to see if they make a difference (if you feel them at all).

Rabbits really should not smell that bad, especially if you are cleaning really well. You may want to consider a vet visit to make sure everything is ok.

its her urine that smells bad she smells fine her feces doesnt smell bad either and we have ceramic tile and i pull her cage out and mop under it every 2-3 days

I've found the newspaper pellets at Safeway and Winco. Depends what stores you have in your area. The name is Good Mews and is only about $5-6 for 30 pounds. I've also used Petco's generic cat paper litter brand which is about $9 per bag, just make sure you get the unscented since they keep them side by side. Yesterday's news in my area costs about $18.. so it's much cheaper for me to use the cat-litter. My bunny also hasn't eaten any of it and she is reliably peeing in the litterbox.

Back