Cinderella is very sick (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopHop

Reaction score
Please pray for Cinderella, she is very sick. She was fine this morning at breakfast, but after lunch when I checked on her she was rolling and wheezing. Her paws tremble and her eyes roll up and down. She's running a high vever and is probably nautious.

The vet was not in the office, but they paged her and she came in to meet us there. It's a middle ear infection on the right side. Now I can see puss coming out too, but the vet looked in and saw it. She's on Bacillian injections daily, sub q fluids, antibiotic in the ear, metacam, and an ointment for her eyes to prevent scratching.

:nurse:
I just fed her some dinner and she ate very well, about 40 cc of critical care mixed with chamomile tea and banana/berry baby food. Her temperature is still 103.8 so I wet down her paws with alcohol again. I'm going to stay home from work tomorrow to be with her.
:imsick:

Thanks to Aunty Susan Cinderella has a nice U pillow and blankie rolled up to support her on the right. I have her in a laundry basket with blankets up over the sides, a wee pad, and then a sheet. That way I can keep her clean the best possible.
:bunnynurse:
I will keep you updated.:sickbunny:

:pray: x a million gazillion
Jj

Oh no! Hope she gets well soon! :pray:

OH NO! Poor Cinderella -give her a hug for me. I've been through an ear infection with one bunny-no fun at all. I read the title and seriously wished I hadn't just read that. I re-read it almost hoping that would make the title change to something better..

I'll be praying for she feels better soon and for insight for you and the vet on treating/caring for her. :pray:

So sorry to read this Brandy, looks like neither of us are having a good day when it comes to bunny health :(

Hopefully Cinderella will heal up quick and be normal again in no time.

Thanks. I just gave her another 10cc of critical care and wet her paws down again. She seems a bit more stable already. She sways but is not rolling. She peed on me twice this evening, so that is good. I know she hates not being able to get to the litter box and she refuses to pee in her bed. Hopefully we can both get a little sleep.

Ironically, we discovered she had finally gotten to her goal weight. She has gone from 7 to 5 pounds in the past year. Some girls on a diet will do anything to get some bannana.

Sounds like she's under great care with you. But more important, you saw it and acted swiftly. Exactly what a rabbit needs. Fast diagnosis and meds quickly.

Hoping she is headed for full recovery. Poor baby, worried about going in the litter box and not her bed. Just tell her she will be able to use the litter box as soon as she is stronger.

Observations of your bunnies is so important. By you observing and knowing your bunny, you picked out the abnormal right on the spot. Hats off to you.

Wishing Cinderella a quiet day today so that the meds can do their work. Hoping you get some rest as well, but know you are worried about your bunny. I would be too.

K :)

Thanks ZRabbits, but I think anyone would have picked this up. Poor baby was rolling around out of control, it was horrible.
She ate breakfast but her temp was 104.3, so I wet down her paws again. She's settled in a clean bed and Houdini gave her a visit. I think because she was in the shelter so long the most important part is for her not to feel abandoned so she keeps fighting. My husband checked on her every couple hours during the night and I was up early to look in on her. She slept well until Andre (cat) woke her up.
She rolls when I pick her up, but once she's back in her basket she sits up well. She even cleaned her face, one paw at a time, but it's still grooming.

Yeah, she gets all kicky like she's trying to hop to her box before she pees. Unfortunately she had to pee when I was putting her fluids in and she stabbed herself with the needle before I could get it out. Luckily it didn't bleed too much.

She drank almost 4 oz of pedialyte from the syringe, but her temp is still elevated. I think she's feeling a bit better though because she's able to sit up and has started to groom herself more.

I'm going to stay home tomorrow again because she perks up when I come to check on her. Unfortunately she's not as comfortable with Joshua and struggles if he tries to feed or give her a drink. Having him stay home for her is not really an option.

Cinderella is getting a little more feisty, which I think is a very good sign. Her temperature has come down to 103.5. I'm worried that even with the sub Q fluids and syringing pedialyte that she is dehydrated. Her urine is very strong and she's only putting out a few hard dry poops. I'm going to give the vet a call to see if I can give her an extra 100 mL fluid today to try to rehydrate.

The fever broke yesterday later in the day and has stayed down over night. I gave her an extra 50mL of subQ yesterday and I think that did the trick. Now I just have to get her pooping again. She had a few hard dry and mucusy poos this morning, but certainly not normal.

I gave her the 100mL subq fluids, which she is starting to hate, and 20cc food- half critical care and half yam baby food. She is nibbling on strawberries and wet greens voluntarily. She also ate the lavender shoots I cut. On my way home tonight I'm going to pick up more herbs because she seems to like them.

Her pee is more normal and dilute today so I think the dehydration is over. I added a bit of smithacone because her tummy seemed puffy and gassy. She's had three doses and seems more comfortable.

I'm back at work today since the fever is down. Joshua will change her bedding as it gets wet and give her greens at lunch time.

:yahoo: Glad to hear she is perking up! Hope all is over very very quickly! Still sending prayers your way though!
Jj

Latest posts

Back