Christmas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
Well everyone, me and my mom went shopping todayfor a few items. I got my godson's Christmas present and a bunch ofrabbit things. We stopped at 4 different pet stores to find what Iwanted. :shock:

And I tell you, I never want to go back. All the little baby bunnies,some older and probably wont be sold, they were all in tiny cages andsome looked ill. Others didn't look old enough to be away from theirmothers and just laid down in the back of their cages. I felt so bad,especially this one little tri-colored Mini Rex... she was white withmocha spots and a black spot on her nose with some black on her back,too. Unfortunately, my mom made me leave the store. :(Oh Ihate pet stores!

On the other hand, I got what I wanted, 2 Flip-N-Toss toys, somealfalfa treats (I figure if my parent are going to spoil the bunnies,why not let it be at least a bit of a healthier treat?), and some toysthat were not really meant to be toys at all! I found these littlehamster nests, they are little wicker balls with hay inside and holeson the end for hamsters to hide in. So I grabbed 2 of those since theywere cheap and it's easy entertainment for the boys! And my mom boughtme a Comfy Harness for the boys and I tell you, they like it muchbetter than that cat H-harness I had before.

So alls well as long as I don't have to go back and see those sweet little faces... Why do pet stores have to be so mean? :X

I would have had to bring that little mini-rex home to Bo! :(

Bo had one of those hamster balls, I filled it with hay :) he loved it.... so much he ate it. :p

If you got the larger one (like we got our rat) be careful becausethere is a wire around the large hole in it..... make sure you get itaway from them once they chew through to it.

I just assume they'll eat the hamster ball butthat's fine. I checked it out before I left and it is definitely allnatural and nothing but wicker and hay. I wont get anything bigger,they're cages are too small with all these toys! lol.

Wow, Laura! :shock:

Those two boys of yours sure are going to clean up this Christmas.

I literally sometimes block my eyes from looking at the animals in pet stores. It breaks my heart too.

-Carolyn

Carolyn,

I think I may have to start ordering online because the few times I gointo the pet stores, they just call me and my heart goes out to allthose babies. I wish I could bring them all home and give them a lovinghome. It breaks my heart to see 8 or so roughly 10 week old (guessinghere) bunnies in a small cage on display and then I see all the babiesthat shouldn't be there. I'm just glad I don't have to go in there foranother year or so. The worst part is most are being sold for $9.99 orfree with the purchase of a cage. I can just see snake owners flockinginto those stores and irresponsible rabbit owners-to-be. Only one ofthe rabbits (inthe 3 stores that had rabbits in them) wasfriendly enough to come up to the cage wire and try to bite me, and thesecond i moved to try to stroke him, he ran away frightened and thatbothers me more than anything. :(I'll stick to the feedstores in town that don't have pets in there.

I understand completely, Laura.

Isn't it a shame? :( Our rabbits really have The Life.

-Carolyn

Yup our babies have the life. I still feel badfor mine, having to spend all winter outside in the cold.:(If it was possible they would be inside.

On the bright side, my dad was talking to me the other day saying howit was ok now that they were stikk young but it's harder as they getolder. And then he said we're probably going to get a shed for them.:DIt'll probably have windows for light, insulated a bit (Ihope), and divided down the center with wire so we will basically have2 inside runs. That way they can be mostly out of the harshness of thewind but still be able to run around. I'm sure they'll love it. Allthough we wont have it done for at least another 2 years. I figurethat's ok, they will be about 3-4 in another 2 years so it shouldn't beso bad. Maybe they'll live in my dad's workshop part of the 3-cargarage we're having in the next house for the winter and then they'llbe ok. I'm really looking forward to a shed for them! lol.

I think that little Mini Rex bothered me so much because she remindedme so much of Spice. More girly features and smaller, but the samebrown and white color and timidness.

Well, I went shopping today and got all of the animals something except for Bo! :(

I just haven't found anything I want to get him yet. He has anice bed, a nice litterbox, and a slew of toys! I guess I might lookfor something he can play inside but then a nice Pepsi box would suithim just fine lol.

I never thought of giving them a soda box. I wonder if they would fit in it??

My bunnies sure wouldn't! Might get stuck on their bellies in a soda box, lol. ;)

I know how it is, you buy them toys and they like the pakaging better,go figure! So this year I decided to let the boys open their own toys.I'm taking the toys that were in harmful pakaging out and wrapping themin paper and securing it shut with thin string, that way they can ripand tear and toss things around as they like and I have no worries. :D

A friend of mine gives her bunnies a Pepsi carton(the bigger square ones) and she has a rather large lop who manages toget inside LOL

Spice jumped on the top of an old box that I hadturned upside down for his hide away box in his run, well lets say hefell right through. It was the funniest thing I ever saw in my life andhe is a bit causious about jumping on things now, LOL.

I've had lots of fun today making a few toys for the boys and even wrapping a few things in a rabbit safe way.

Here are 2 of the toys each of the boys will be getting. Yes, that's ahamster nest but it works! I spent a little while this morningstringing those wood chews (they're rabbit safe) onto 100% naturalSisal String.

toys.jpg

And then after that was done, I went and wrapped the Flip'N'Toss toysin blank newsprint and instead of using tape I tied more Sisal Stringaround it. That way I figure the boys can tear at the paper and eatwhat they want and I don't have to worry about it. :)

lol, I thought it was quite a good thing a saw those, it's rabbit safe and pretty cheap.

I know too well that lure to save all the rabbitsin a pet store. Look at us and Valuran. He was so skinny and sickly. Myhubby didn't even want a third rabbit really, until he held the poorlittle bunny and fell hopelessly in love.

I have no regets.

On another note, I plan on spoiling my bun buns for Christmas thisyear. :D I am going to look for those hamster ball things, I've beenwanting to get some for them anyway, now is the perfect time of year.

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
I've had lots of fun today making a few toys for the boysand even wrapping a few things in a rabbit safe way.

Here are 2 of the toys each of the boys will be getting. Yes, that's ahamster nest but it works! I spent a little while this morningstringing those wood chews (they're rabbit safe) onto 100% naturalSisal String.

toys.jpg

And then after that was done, I went and wrapped the Flip'N'Toss toysin blank newsprint and instead of using tape I tied more Sisal Stringaround it. That way I figure the boys can tear at the paper and eatwhat they want and I don't have to worry about it. :)
MyBunnyBoys, you are so just the BEST bunny mom! :)

Luv's cage is just too small to put anything elsein there. I want one of those homemade homes but i am just not all thatgood with my hands and my husband ignores my hints. Plus mybunnies arent loving each other. Roger chases Luv out of hiscage when she jumps in. I dont blame her fortrying. He has the bigger cage.

Cristy

Latest posts

Back