Christmas trees

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callaway

Reaction score
So we set up our tree. It's a Douglas fir. We had a similar tree last year but wasn't an issue. Mr. Callaway has taken to eating the pine needles. I love that his breath is pine fresh but concerned. Is it okay if he eats them? I can trim them up so he can't reach them but the tree would look quite silly. I could also block him from the tree but if you've followed our journey, you know anything short of getting rid of the tree will probably not work.

The tree stand is a tall one so he is unable to get into the water and I do not decorate with tinsel. He doesn't chew on wires so lights aren't a problem. So just wondering if eating the needles is bad for him.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1387417400.609786.jpg

From what I've heard, evergreens in general are no-no trees for bunnies to chew on... and it's generally not possible to know for sure if a tree was treated with anything (pesticides, fire retarding whatnot after harvesting, etc.).

What sort of barricading have you tried in the past (regardless of what was being blocked off)? If you can give me an idea of what sort of barricades he's been able to defeat, I might be able to help think of one that would be effective - I've had to go to pretty creative lengths to craft "thwartation" devices that keep our larger naughties (two bunnies and two cats) out of things they shouldn't be screwing around with :p.

Is your tree small enough to put on a table? That might be the best way to keep him away from it.

Latest posts

Back