Christmas tree question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dittani

Reaction score
This coming Christmas will be our first Christmas with the terrible twins, and last night my fiance and I came across the realisation that our bunnies will utterly destroy our Christmas tree. As you can tell, I really want to be adequately prepared for the massacre that will undoubtedly occur to our poor tree and accoutrements, and was wondering what you guys do to stop your free roaming bunnies from eating your tree?

I was thinking of constructing a fence from the storage cube thingies that we made their cage (read: freaking mansion) out of, but am worried they'd just headbut it over or jump over it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We just made a little fence around it so they couldn't get under the tree. We always put our tree in the corner so we attached it to the walls on either side so the fence formed a C-shape. It worked great. They were happy cause they could still snag the occasional pine needle to chomp on!(we use the fence to keep the beasts away from the wires for the lights!);)

PS-We wanted to have all the kids out and about the night we putour tree up! We bought a gorgeous Scotch pine, full, green...breath taking! :D It was a little tall so we layed it down on the floor so hubby could trim some off the bottom. The bunns were so excited!! It was their first Christmas!!! They were sniffing the top of the tree while hubby was sawing away! Finally it was done and we lifted it up into the X-mas tree holder! AND SAW THE HUGE BARE SPOT AT THE TOP, RIGHT AT THE FRONT!!!:shock: We turned to look and saw the buns retreating back under the diningroom table with a hunk of tree twice their size!:shock: Apparently daddy wasn't the only person sawing at the tree!:? It took quite a few ornaments to fill up that space!!! LOL :D

Yeah, I know how you guys feel my last bun Mr bunny actually ate through the wires on my last tree that was a very lucky bunny not to get electrocuted. And he also ate clean through my husbands ps2 remote wire while he was playing it and mr bun stopped the game cold. Another lucky time. But he wasnt so lucky and couldnt make it through a kidney infection I miss mr bunny. :bigtears:But my new bun Oreo will not be allowed near my new tree and I got a wireless controller for the ps2.

I'm so sorry to hear that, Bunnybear. :sigh My heart goes out to you.

My bunnies have also narrowly escaped the fate of electrocution a few times; they've chewed through 2 cell phone charger cables, an extension cable and their daddy's subwoofer cable just to name a few. Now every single cable is tucked out of their reach, and the 2 cables that are unavoidable within their reach are covered in thick aquarium tubing. Their penchant for snacking on electrical wires is why i'm so concerned about christmas time, when lighting cords and new, shiny things to chew on will be all over the place... :?

Hang it from the ceiling.

Seriously. It worked when I had cats.

I've got a pic of it somewhere (....now watch,I won't be albe to find it).

We had a thread about this last year. Maybe I can find that easier then the pic.

we had some ornaments on our tree that were low to the ground and my bun came along and decided he likedone of themso he tried to take it off but he could not so he yanked and pulled at it violently,finally it came off and he pranced away his head and tail high very proud he got his little treasure. it was so funny to se him prancing away with an ornament LOL.:):bunnydance:

When we put our Christmas tree up we don't put lights in the bottom 2 feet of the tree. We also trim the braches at the bottom so they are about 18" off the floor. So the bunns can explore as much as they want and not get hurt! We do have to plug in the lights though! So what we did was make a fake present. Just a big box wrapped in Chritmas paper and cut a hole in the back so we could fit it over the electrical outlet. It is too high for the bunns to get up on and the cord comes down the tree to the top of the box and then plugs into the wall. We also made fake presents to cover the tree watering thingy. It has a tube that pipes water to the tree stand...so we covered that too! It is nice in a way cause at Christmas you can hide anything as long as you have enuff wrapping paper! And it looks like you have loads of presents as soon as you set up the tree! We put ours up the first week of December! We even give the bunns a box of their own all wrapped up with holes cut in it that they can play in!! Very Festive!!:D

JimD wrote:

We had a thread about this last year. Maybe I can find that easier then the pic.

I wanna see this pic!!!!

ilovetegocalderon wrote:
JimD wrote:

I wanna see this pic!!!!
So far I can't find either one :?

Thanks for your replies! I was looking at the short decorative edging/fencing in the Home Depot today, and will probably make a little fence around the christmas tree with them.

I've seen the suspended christmas trees you were talking about, JimD - they're hilarious! It's an awesome idea, and I would if only we weren't renting our house. I don't think our landlord would appreciate us making holes in the ceiling. :?

Yeah,i would just make a little fence from those cubes,it seems so much easier and it's just very practical,and you could always use the cubes for something else when Christmas is finished,until you will need them the next year,which Christmas seems to just zoom around so fast these days lol.

cheryl

JimD wrote:
ilovetegocalderon wrote:
JimD wrote:

I wanna see this pic!!!!
So far I can't find either one :?
:cry2

Latest posts

Back