Christmas decorating - how careful do you need to be?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbotina

Reaction score
I know to watch the wires so the tree will begoing up in the den. But what about bows? other items? Do I need tokeep everything about 2ft up in their free reign rooms?

I would avoidanything that's not natural, non-toxic or 100% digestible. Bunnies loveto explore new things with their mouths :?

I heard about people putting the bottom two feetwith bunny ornaments. Card board cut outs, Chew blocks and stuff. Heymaybe youcan string a treat or something. Also heard ofpeople putting a pen around it.

I heard about people putting the bottomtwo feet with bunny ornaments. Card board cut outs, Chew blocks andstuff.

That's what I've always done with my cats...any breakable ornaments,anything chewable, and especially tinsel - I either made sure it waswell away from ground (cat) level, or simply didn't use it at all, andsimply placed unbreakable ornaments at the bottom. Tinsel especiallycan be dangerous to any pets, as it can get tangled in the digestivetract and cause serious injury.

Iwould avoid anything that's not natural, non-toxic or 100% digestible.Bunnies love to explore new things with their mouths:?
:yeahthat

On a side note, also beware of presents sitting under the tree. I oncehad gone to a Christmas party a week or so before Xmas, only to comehome and discover that my dog had eaten two of the gifts that wereunder the tree - both were large boxes of chocolates that someone hadgiven to me. My dog obviously smelled the chocolate, tore through thewrapping and ate the entire contents of each ofthem.Fortunately for her, she got quite ill and vomited thechocolate up - everywhere(!!) throughout the apartment, so all shewound up with was a tummy ache. Unfortunately for me, most of the aptwas carpeted, and I spent therest of the night scrubbingpiles upon piles of reguritated mess. So beware of Xmas gifts that aregiven to you and are resting under the tree, esp. if you don't know thecontents...a pet could be drawn to it and ingest something that couldbe harmful or fatal.

Good point, Bassetluv!!!

I've always done the same thing with my kitties...having everything atleast two feet from the ground, and being sure I don't use anythingthat would fall and break (and thereby cause a harmful situation byleaving glass all around) if they shook the tree in any way.We usually also stick to Charlie Brown-sized trees. Helps alot! We're not sure where we're going to have our tree thisyear, as we're in a different place than last year, but we'llfigure out something. :)

This will be our first Christmas with the buns...yay!! :D

Another thing that also works nicely is a little NIC paneled gate around the base of the tree....

I dont know what to do this year bc Tumnus' cageis right in the place where I always put my tree!

Hehe...I would have to have an NIC panel gatethat's two panels high, or Flower will get a nice little nibble of thetree! :)

Hmmm what sized NIC panel do yah think I'd needto keep 1 bun, 2 cats, 1 rotten shepherd, a golden retriver, a 100lbrottweiler, and 2 cats away? Thank the good Lordthat the hamster, guinea pig and frog have noaccess. And we've always kept the glassornaments up high. Worked nice till the cats learned to climbthe tree and toppled it at 2am. We tied the tree tothe curtain rod. Yep you guessed it....two days later I wasreputting up my curtain rods. Moved the tree to acorner and put hooks in the wall at the corners and tied itup. By Christmas day they had removed the lights,1/2 the ornaments and the strings of beads. Boy am I glad thecats outgrew that. Now to see what the dogs do thisyear. We only had Sandy our golden last Christmas.

Yeah, Amanda and I have a fake tree, and we werealso wondering what we should do about our bun, cause she loves to chewanything and everything she can get her mouth on, it doesn't matterthat it can kill her, so long as she can chew it. I am gladto see this thread cause I had forgot the matter until justnow. Another issue for us is presents. Velma lovespaper, and I can just imagine her thoughts when she sees an entire boxof paper she should chew.

Latest posts

Back