christinebunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christinebunnies

Reaction score
Hi, I have a hard time leaving my two bunnies for even part of a day. I know of no rabbit people around me and friends and family do not understand at all! Someone said " why dont you just put them outside in a cage like normal people do and oh just put them outside theyll know what to do. I live in Alberta Canada and My mom is in BC - I would like to visit her for 5-7 days - She is not well. I have no one to look after them. I was wondering if maybe there was some rabbit savvy bunny lover around edmonton who wouldnt mind looking after them for a few days. I have a one year old New Zealand white girl and a one year old Checkered Giant girl.Thanks so much.

No experiences here with bunnies on a plane. Heck, I won't even get on a plane. But bunnies have been transported this way. Hoping someone can give you some experience on how it went for them.

Hoping you find a way (leaving them or taking them with you) so that you can go and visit your Mom. Sorry to hear she is not feeling well.

K

I'd think about flying with them, especially if your mom's health might extend the trip.

I haven't flown with pets, but just before it got hot, one RO member shipped her 2 rabbits & other pets from Germany to Texas for her parents to take care of until she finished up in Germany & arrived in Texas. It wasn't in a passenger plane's cargo, but still it was a long trip & she wasn't right next to them like you'd be. They were just fine.

It depends on the airline, but if they do on the airline you have tickets on, it sounds doable. Or, depending on the distance & ticket refund policy, you might consider driving instead.

The only airline in Canada that allows rabbits in the cabin (or at all) is Westjet. You can only take one in the cabin (1 per person) and it costs $50 each way. If you have them in the cargo, then you can have 2 per carrier and up to 3 carriers. There are weight limits and the rabbit has to fit in a soft carrier (dimensions are listed on the website).

I'd say driving with them could be an option, but it sounds like you will be near the coast (1 hour flight from Edmonton?), and that would be a 12+ hour car trip which is stressful for rabbits.

I'm not sure how stressful it would be compared with being cared for by others for that period of time. Traveling that included an overnight stay would be stressful, but even then I'm not sure which I'd choose. Of course you'd want to have rest stops, but those aren't so bad. It depends what kind of crates you have & if you have an expen you can set up at a rest stop along a minor highway while you have a picnic lunch.

Hi Everyone, Thanks for the replys - my mom has parkinsons - I visit her every summer - I would have someone come in the house a few times a day. My husband would did it last year but things have changed we are not together anymore - he lives somewhere else - I have looked into west jet and yes that is an option - one or both of my sons would come with me - they are 11 and 18 and so I could take them both - I ll just have to see what I can do - its so hard to go anywhere and then I am worried sick when I am gone - my mom is a sweetheart but grew up with a no animals in the house policy and she lives in an apartment where no pets are allowed - I probably could get them in and she probably would allow them to be in x pens perhaps - she would go along with it if I had to but Ill just see what my other options are - It would be so nice if another rabbit lover lived close to me - we could look after each others bunnies and know they are in good hands - oh well that is just a dream - most rabbit people seem to live in the USA not Canada - oh there is a canadian from calgary on here - Hi Kate do you bunny sit?

I have a friend in Edmonton who I can ask if you can't find someone. She is a horsey person and has a few horses at her house and a dog as well as two kids. But she is a gem and loves all animals and is very good with them. I think she has had bunnies before. I can give her a call if you are really stuck. I actually gave her my old special needs show horse and she was wonderful with him constantly watching him and having the vet out if anything even looked slightly wrong.

I know its hard not knowing the person but I promise you she has a heart of gold.

If you can get them down here, I would bunny sit. You would need to be pens or cages and food and stuff. I do have 2 dogs as well, so that could be an issue if your buns are not used to dogs. Both of them are good with rabbits and pretty much ignore mine other than to steal poops.

I talked to my friend in Edmonton today. She said she would be happy to take care of your bunnies if you want. Just pm me your number and I will pass it onto her :)

Hi, Thanks ever so much for your kind replies - My bunnies have never met a dog before so they might be scared although I know that some dogs are good with bunnies - BabyRue - my phone number is 403-782-3130 Thanks - your friend sounds nice.

I flew my rabbits 11 hours so if you have any crating issues or other questions please feel free to ask. I had a four month old giant and a two year old britannia that flew just fine. I was a wreck but they did just fine.

If the other options don't work out, perhaps consider asking the vet. Many vets offer some boarding for a small price. Depends on how long you expect to be gone too though I imagine. Perhaps they would know of proper sitters if you cannot find anyone. :)

Latest posts

Back