Choxic Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revverress

Reaction score
Choxic is a word that doesn't really mean anything. I thought it up one night soon after it became official that I was going to start breeding English Lops on a small scale; I figured I could use it as my rabbitry's name, and I like to call all my pet bunnies my "Choxic Rabbits". This blog is just for me to post pictures, brag about, and just plain out talk about the buns, since not many people in RL like to hear me go on about them. :D

Now, the rabbits.

Background behind the house bunnies- In mid-July 2004, about three months after my family's former pet store opal mini rex had died, I decided I couldn't take being bunnyless any longer, and found a breeder advertised in the paper. The next week, my family took a trip out to the farm, where my parents bought Pepper and I took home Noel.

Noel is my lovely harlequin mini rex. She's convinced she's the alpha bunny of everyone except me [so long as I feed her on time] and my dog, Tess. Don't let her tough act fool you- she's really a sweet, cuddly girl.

hpim0156fj1.jpg

[ignore the weird red eye remover thing on her eye]

Pepper is a [chestnut?] agouti mini rex. This girl is CRAZY. Pep's favorite things to do include chewing anything that resembles a wire, and peeing in the most unexpected places.

hpim0315kk6.jpg

I am currently talking to vets about spaying both girls. :)

Then there's my loppys. I had been looking into showing rabbits for a while [Ihad even boughtNoel to show, but the breeders never told me she wasn't near show quality, and that her color isn't even recognized...], and I remember seeing this picture of lovely rabbit with adorably huge ears in a book- An English Lop. I went to my first ARBA show back in March 2007, where I got to hold my first King of the Fancy- it was love at first sight. I reserved a kit from a planned litter from the breeder I met there, and in that summer, I ended up taking home two babies.

Tristynn is my heart rabbit. She is a broken tort black doe, and she has the most AMAZING personality. She's cuddly and loving, but at the same time, adorably fiesty. Even though she may never do well on the judge table due to her small size [two ounces below senior weight], Tris is my baby, and I wouldn't trade her for the world.

dscn0365ic5.jpg

My mom fell in love with Beau the day I bought Tris- he was a two week old baby at the time, and he and his foster brother could fit right in the palm of my hand. Beau is an opal buck, and he does fairly well on the show table- He's got a beautiful head, ears, and bone, but he just doesn't have the right body shape. He's most definably the most sweetest rabbit I've ever had; every time I have him out, he follows me around honking. He LOVES to have his head scratched; my brother had to kick him off the couch yesterday because he wouldn't leave him alone. :biggrin2:

dscn0440es3.jpg

Tris will be bred by the end of this month. I'm still undecided as to whether I'm going to use Beau or a stud from my pair's breeder; both rabbits compliment her nicely, and both are very sweet, so we'll have to see. I've also reserved a kit from the same breeder's planned litter [she'll be breeding the same time I breed Tris so that I can use her doe an an emergency foster mom :)]. By the end of the summer, I plan on having six rabbits.

None of the pictures are very recent; I'll have to take some more another day when my camera is charged.

Anyway, there's my bunnies; sorry for rambling so much. :p

Thanks everyone. ^^

My poor Beau's got to go to the vet Monday- he's drooling and has a runny eye. I'm guessing it's his molars, and I'm hoping it will be an easy fix. He had an appointment today, but the vet didn't come in. -.- Hopefully, I'll get to go Monday [if I can get out of school....] and talk to the vet about spaying the minis.

They are DOLLS!

I hope everything goes well during the upcoming vet visit. If it is molars, can he have anything (bunny-safe) like a baby teething ring?

Leaf wrote:
They are DOLLS!

I hope everything goes well during the upcoming vet visit. If it is molars, can he have anything (bunny-safe) like a baby teething ring?
I have no idea Leaf. I've been free-feeding him hay since the day I got him, so why he has this problem suddenly, I don't know. I'm just going to keep giving him hay and his pellets until I get to see the vet, since he seems to be eating just fine.

I love all of your rabbits - they're all so neat in their own way.....

Looking forward to seeing more pictures in the future...

Peg

Aww, thanks Peg. :)

I mentioned to my mom about taking either Beau or Tris to my little sister's Easter girlscout meeting on the 21st [probably will bring Beau, depending on how things go at the vet's], and if I can get in, I'm going to printsome Easter Bunny info flyers off of the House Rabbit Society's site and hand them out to the girls, since it's bunny season. =) I just hope it won't tire the bunnies out too much, as they have a show the very next day, and then another one a week after that. :p

-Holly

Wow, Noel is gorgeous!

~It's funny because my husband calls me the other day from Petsmart and asked me what a Castor Rex looks like (because when I get another, that's what I really want). So, the next day I go in to see these buns, there are two. Hubby said from the pics I showed him that that wasn't what this one in particular was. He's a Harlequin, just like Noel, but more speckled, and gorgeous;)! Already neutered too. I am wanting a girl, but hey, this could work, so, I'm thinking on it. Gonna go back and hold him and think on it somemore.~

I love Pepper too;)! I'm no expert, but he looks like a Holland Lop, tort in color. I could be wrong. My Snuffypoo is a Holland/Tort;).

Gotta love those ELs:)! Them ears:shock:.

....I just typed out a huge post, and my computer deleted it. :rollseyes

I would love to see pics if you end up getting that harlequin bunny, AngelnSnuffy.:biggrin2:And you're right; Pepper is a mini lop [why did I put mini rex????], but she's definetley an agouti. I'm just not sure if she's a chestnut or not.

Beau finally saw the vet today... She did an extremely thourough exam of his eyes, teeth [molars and incisors], ears, head, jaw, everything, but she couldn't find anything wrong. Beau hasalways had a history of a runny eye [he has drops for it], and we think he just has either allergies or a small tear duct, but there's just no explanation for the drooling. The vet said it's possible that I just have a drooly bunny- Has anyone ever heard of that before? She said definetly take him right in if he stops eating, and give him some fresh pineapple to see if there's a hairball problem, as that would help out. I want to get a second opinion if it gets any worse, but even though I take care of Beau and show him and everything, he's my mom's pet, and that would be her call, so we'll see.

We talked today about spaying my house girls- about the risks, benefits, costs, etc. I think my mom [who doesn't want them in surgery at all] and I agreed on getting it done after the summer, since they're not as old as I had originally thought [go figure; I'm terrible at math]; that should give me plenty of time to raise the money for the spays.

The vet was just in love with Beau, and may be interested in a baby from Tris' future litter. That would be just awesome if she bought a baby- I'd know it would be in a great home.:)

12 more days until Tris and Beau's next show.... Ahhh, I can't wait! :D

-Holly

Hee, hee, I thought so by the pic. You must just have wanted to type "mini rex" at that time:p.

It's late, can't think, but drooly usually means teeth issues:?. Please feel free to ask in the main forum though for more answers.

Good luck in raising money for the spays, how old are they, btw? Yep, if under 3 years, that should be fine.

Good luck at the shows!

We thought Beau had a molar problems because of the drooling and runny eye, but apparently, he doesn't? And yesterday, it suddenly cleared up as we were leaving the vet's, and it looks almost completely better today. o_O Maybe the drooling could have been him rubbing his chin on his water bottle? He does like to chin it a lot... I guess I'll switch him to his crock tonight and see how things are tomorrow.

The little bunnies will be three in May. I had originally thought they were about to turn four, so I was rushing into the spays; I'm glad they're younger than I thought. :)

As I type this, Beau is switching between grooming himself on my bed and sticking his head in my lap... I think I'll snap a few pictures of him tonight. :D

-Holly

My camera decided to die on me. -_- So no, no pics.

Today I took Tris and Beau along to my little sister's girlscout meeting. I had originally planned to print out Easter-bunny info flyers from the House Rabbit Society's site and hand them out, but I didn't get home in time from school to do so. I did get to talk with some of the girls about how much more work bunnies are than people think they are, and how they need hay along with their food... Most of them were really surprised at that, so I'm glad I got to tell them about it. The Girl Scout troop leader or whatever wants me to come back with my bunnies on their "Pet Care Day" and talk about how to care for them. I don't know when that is, but I'll be excited to do it, anyway. ^^

We have a double show tomorrow, and I've got to get there early to help set up, since it's my club that's doing to the show. Wish me luck! :D

Latest posts

Back