Chocolate

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratmom

Reaction score
Can someone tell me why chocolate is bad for rabbits? I've googled it, but everyone just says it can kill them and doesn't explain it. Is it the Theobromine? The reason why I ask is my rabbits are in our pet rat room and I give our chocolate as treats to my rats. Every once in a while I'll drop one and I'll find it, because I know it's bad for the bunnies sugar & all. I did it this morning and looked and looked and while we were looking for it with a flash light oliver found it in his cage so hubby snatched it from his mouth and he just got a little nibble from it.

Here's a good article:
http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/nutritiondogs/a/chocolatetoxici.htm

Yes, it is the Theobromine that is the problem. A tiny nibble shouldn't hurt, especially if it was just milk chocolate which has less of the chemical in it. But there have been bunnies on the forum that have gotten into larger amounts of chocolate and required emergency vet care to treat them.

I guess just be more careful when giving treats to your rats. Maybe bring in a specific number so you can keep track of them?

Great, that was the article I actually found. I buy the semi sweet and not the milk chocolate ones. These chocolate chips are hard to hold on to when giving them out so I drop them sometimes lol. Thanks so much for the help I'm glad I finally got the answer :)

Latest posts

Back