Chinning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Chinning-where a bun rubs their chinaccross items to claim them as their own (a scent gland under the chin releases a scent odourless to humans but rabbits can detect it).

According to this behaviour Guy now owns a pair of black Nike trainers suitable for winter weather. The fact they fit my feet rather than his paws doesn't concern him in the slightest :upsidedown:

Jo xx

Casper owns:

The toilet
The coffee table
The moleskin pillows on the sofa
2 cats
The guinea pig cage
The pool table
Mulitple chairs
The bookcase and most of the books on it
The mop
The lamp
Do I need to go on :shock::p

Evie is the only one who I've caught chinning.
She chins me, the cats, Nate, textbooks, pens, pencils, erasers, my room-mate's hands, the craisin bag, the couch arm, her hay box, Slatey's house, her house, Nate's hoosier cabinet (I have no doubt that if bunnies chew it, they will be very unhappy:shock:; I probably won't have a bf anymore...), etc. ...

Oh goodness! Bo owns EVERYTHING! He owns every inch of my eyeglasses and my toes!

Tony owns a lot also! He especially owns the big craisen display box they play in, his litterbox and any they all share! And the sofa pillows!

Clover Owns a few things she makes sure we know of! Her feed dish, her water bottle, her litterbox, her carrot chew and her bell/wood toy. She also owns ALL of the boxes and toys that are out to play with and anything she can get to in Bo's cage if she manages a little time there..... and then Bo gets really mad and reowns his entire cage and needs new/clean blankets to own.... :?

"What does your bunny own?"

Everything! :D

Elf owns us...

pumpkincarving2008152.jpg

Oh, man! What don't the buns own!? Let's see here...

Toby owns ...
- the laptop
- my slippers
- pillows on the bed
- the garbage can
- ... the garbage can lid (he will stretch his neck out while up on his condo)
- his litter box
- Tetris game for my Gameboy
- remote controls
- me :p
- my camera
- the treats that he does not eat ~ they belong to him, but they sit on the floor... uneaten... but they're HIS.

Berry-Boo owns ...
- Will's chin
- the bottom 18" of the hall closet mirror
- every single zip tie on her NIC panel playpen
- Will's nose/face/hair
- my camera (Toby and her both chin it, so it's hilarious to watch them try to "out chin" the other bun).
- hallway electrical socket plates... yeah... not good... I've only caught her doing that once!
- any shoes left out

That's all I can think of for now lol

I thought people here might enjoy this. It's from a book called Rabbit Language or "Are You Going to Eat That?" by Carolyn R. Crampton. Here is the humorous explanation behind chinning... This is a "just for giggles" book. Not learning material :p

BEHAVIOR: Rubbing chin on things, such as houseplants, priceless armoires, Italian leather shoes. A great misconception: It does NOT mean “marking territory”—it’s a rabbit custom, like saying grace in front of a meal.

WHAT IT MEANS: “One day I will eat you.”

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO: Give your bunny more sticks and branches, keep your stuff off the floor, and kiss the antiques goodbye.

kherrmann3 wrote:

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO: Give your bunny more sticks and branches, keep your stuff off the floor, and kiss the antiques goodbye.

:roflmao:

Anyway, here are some of the things that Max owns-besides me, of course!

Seven cats

Two dogs

A rocking chair

Matching sofa and loveseat, also the footstool that goes with them

Computer desk/chair with it

Three end tables

DH's house slippers

His pen and everything in it, of course... And the list goes on, but I promise I won't. :biggrin2:

kherrmann3 wrote:
I thought people here might enjoy this. It's from a book called Rabbit Language or "Are You Going to Eat That?" by Carolyn R. Crampton. Here is the humorous explanation behind chinning... This is a "just for giggles" book. Not learning material :p

BEHAVIOR: Rubbing chin on things, such as houseplants, priceless armoires, Italian leather shoes. A great misconception: It does NOT mean “marking territory”—it’s a rabbit custom, like saying grace in front of a meal.

I remember reading this a long time ago. Someone thought it was actually saying we were all wrong about why they chin.

Apparently, Tony now owns Lexi's knee. :?

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Apparently, Tony now owns Lexi's knee. :?
Haha! Too funny! Toby does that too. Except, he does it to my fingers! I will point at him (he'll groom my fingertips/nails) and he will chin my finger sometimes instead. I guess it's as good as being groomed *shrug*

:p

This is a good test to see how the bun trusts you. This is what you do: sticka finger in the cage (if you're not scared, haha) and see if the bun chins you.Snuff does it:). I'll stick my finger in there just for him to show his love for me, and he'll chin it:D. Once in awhile he won't, cuz he has a tude. Mostly, he does though. He also loves his Daddy!:D

If you succeed in the chin test, let us know!

Give it a try and let us know how it went!:)

When I stick my finger in Tony's cage, he bites it.

When I stick my finger in Bo's cage, he smells it and since it contains no treat, he flattens for it to scratch his head.

When I stick my finger in Clover's cage, she hikes her body up like a halloween cat to try to scare the intrusion.....

Bo B Bunny wrote:
When I stick my finger in Bo's cage, he smells it and since it contains no treat, he flattens for it to scratch his head.
Toby does that :p He normally is out of his cage, so I have no reason to poke around in it when he's there. He'll chin my finger, wait for pets, or bite my nails (not hard, I think he likes the texture?). He grooms my nails "special" when he is grooming my finger tips. He likes to nip the ends of the nails gently and make them "click". Funny bunny...

Bo B, Cloverbunny sounds "terrifying". :p Does she ever let you pet her? :p

Wow I always wondered what that meant or if it meant anything at all. I see my bun doing it all the time and constantly over and over, several times a day... I was begining to think he had OCD or something. And he chins anything and everything, something he has never seen before he runs over and chins it and runs away from it, like he's saying it's mine but i'm scared of it..

Back