chin color question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheandg

Reaction score
these are litter mates. Is one chin-black and is the other chin-blue? do people call it chin-blue or squirrel? the lighter one has a ruby cast in the eye as well. Mom is chin-black and dad is orange. There was also a black in the litter.

IMG_7405.jpg

IMG_7387.jpg

IMG_7384.jpg

That is a possibility. Dad (orange) carries a shaded gene. I think I had a sable chin in another litter from him, that one had more of the browner cast. I showed him to 2 judges and both said he looked chin-black but I petted him out because he looked more sable chin plus his type wasn't great.....

here are the 3 together the sable chin in the middle and chin black on the left. There was a couple weeks age difference.

So with dad the orange carrying a shaded I think I'll have to be better about who I breed him to. It was a shock he carried the shaded gene since nothing on his pedigree showed it. But I did get a nice siamese sable out of him so I was very excited about that color!

IMG_6985.jpg

The two babies are probably both Chin-black but one is just lighter. It happens, just like you get varying darkness in chestnuts. The darker chins are much more desirable though.

Back