Children and showing...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairyTailFuzzies

Reaction score
I'm looking at giving my neice an AFL baby frommy last litter. She loves a little broken doe Ihave.My neiceis almost 6 (in a month) andbunny crazy. She helps me in the rabbitry now when she isover; filling water bottles and helping clean up. I know theminimum age for 4-H is 8 here. I hate to make her wait 2 moreyears! She has been asking for a bunny for over a year nowand I've made her wait to make sure she was truly interested and madeher clean cages so she knows the care side as well. She hasattended shows with me and I wouldlike her to have her ownbun to put on the table. What were some of the ages wheresome of you or your kids started showing? What was the breedyou started with? I also considered getting her adifferent type of rabbit so she wouldn't have a bun with wool to startoff with???? Although this line the baby is out of has a very easy carecoat.......

Thanks!

According to ARBA rules "Youth exhibitors mustbe able to handle their own rabbits". (It is not specific on the where,whens or hows).

The rule that a youth must place youth rabbits on the table is an individual show rule, not an ARBA rule.

So -- the child should be able to get the rabbit up to the show tableand be able to place it on the table as well as get it backoff. My son is 6 (Matthew), so we use a little stool for himto reach the table -- if the front is too high, the kids can go aroundthe back of the table. (Always ask first, as ARBA rulesprohibit unauthorized persons from being behind the showtable.) When I'm judging, I take into consideration thesafety of the rabbitsand alwaystell the youth theycan come behind the table to get the rabbits on and off the table. (aslong as they are not walking behind me).

Smaller, gentle breeds are best for the kids to startwith.I've found the Himalayans to be oneof the most docile, easy to handle breed for kids.The AFL's are also a fun breed for little girls because they like togroom them :) They are also easy to handle.

Matthew wears a showcoat for protecting his arms and wraps hyper rabbits in a towel to place them on the table.

Children should also fill out their own paperwork -- they learn farmore by doing everything themselves and Matthew takes great pride inpresenting his carefully prepared paperwork to the showsecretary.

I recommend that young children show no more rabbits than their age inyears. Matthew is 6 -- and 6 rabbits is a comfortable numberfor him to fill out paperwork on and handle/exhibit at the shows.

I know the minimum 4-H age can be frustrating for kids active in ARBAshowing. Matthew has been showing for a few years, hascompeted in state royalty, done showmanship, can tattoo rabbits, hasgiven demonstrations and even showed my rabbits for me at the last show-- but he is not yet old enough to be an actual 4-H member.(The club did vote him in as the *official* mascot LOL)

Pam

Thanks so much Pam - I was hoping you would seethis as I thought Matthew was about my neice's age.... This particularbaby is very calm and docile at the moment- not a kicker..so she may bea good start. What a great idea to have her do the paperworkalso! A great literacy connection! I'll have tolook at Himalayans too but I think she has her heart set on this brokendoe. She's making a list of names! :) Where did youget Matthew's show coat from? Thats also a great idea!

I got Matthew's show coat from Imlays Uniformshttp://imlaysuniforms.com/(clickon the "Children's Scrubs". The coats are only $18.00plusshippingand the service was veryfast. I don't have anything embroidered on his as someshowmanship rules don't allow any identification on the coat.

Pam

I think my hubby was showing at age 6. Hisfamily was really involved in 4H so they made some exceptions for him.I think he may have only been showing in the pet category at that age,though. The New Zealands they raised would be really big for such asmall kid.

naturestee wrote:
I think my hubby was showing at age 6. His family was reallyinvolved in 4H so they made some exceptions for him. I think he mayhave only been showing in the pet category at that age, though. The NewZealands they raised would be really big for such a small kid.

Some regions have "Cloverbud" programs for young members and offer fun classes for them.

Pam

my daughter started to show at the age of 4,shewas very tall for her age and very into rabbits she always helped athome.she started with jersey woolies.their coats dont mat badly ifbrushed once a week.fuzzy lops i think vary with the lines.bluebird

I think itsfine start early it'll teach them responsibility later life but stilljust ase long as they can handle them

It's very important that the parents step backand let the kids have fun. I've actually seen 16 year oldboys who could not handle *their* own youth rabbits because the parentspushed them out of the way and did everything for them.

Pam

I just wanted to say that my daughters startedshowing last year as a 4-h project. One is 6 yrs old. and one is almost8. They started showing against the bigger kids, but they areconsidered cloverbuds. So anyway this year a few of therabbit shows have changed the rules and they have to show in the openclass. I'm not too sure how we will handle it but we are going to try.They love their rabbits and showing, although it does get trying attimes, but if they place or get a ribbon the smiles and excitement makeup for it.

We are looking forward to going to Bentonville, AR. this weekend. Wishus luck. And good luck to everyone else who will be attending showsthis year.

Latest posts

Back