chewing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamgal042

Reaction score
Ivory has gotten into the habit of chewingeverything she can sink his teeth into, literally. this includes thewires to my computer, my guinea pigs cage, and the wall of the closet.I dont wanna keep him in his cage all the time, but I also dont wannahurt him with his eating habits. he wont chew his block of wood unlesshe's locked in his cage with it. i tried going to the pet store to findsome bitter apple or something, but 1. i couldnt find any for rabbits,and 2. i ended up seeing a sign for a guinea pig, and took it home thenext day. anyone have any solutions?

I used to sell quite a few bunnies privately forpets. I had put together 12 items in what I called"Guidelines for Life with Bunny". #12 was "Bunny will thriveon attention. However, they are very curious little creaturesand they startle easily. Bunnies are bynature...chewers...everything goes to the mouth. (Kindof like a human toddler.) You must always supervise carefullywhen Bunny is out of the cage to keep him from damaging or beingdamaged...such as an encounter with an electrical cord, (Fried bunny isvery good, but not done this way!) other pets, orchildren."My mini Rex buck, who was my main house bunny, was confined to thekitchen and bathroom, where there were absolutely no cords to get into.

its not just cords he tries to eat, though...he'll chew a hole through the wall if you let him..literally...

tn_109-0958_IMG.jpg

tn_109-0957_IMG.jpg

the first one wasnt completely Ivory...but he sure helped. dont know ifyou can make out the second, but right above the horses back is alittle white spot...next to the tail...thats the hole...or thebeginnings of the hole

No solutions, just suggestions that may or may not work, temporarily, ever, or forever, depending upon the individual rabbit.

Squirting with water from a squirt bottlle, covering affected area withduct tape or bubble wrap, hot sauce applied to pertinent areas, variouscommercially prepared substances repugnant to animals.

None of the above worked with our mini lop, Missy, whodamaged a much value dining room table. As she gets older,she seems to have lessened her propensity to chew on articles sheshould not, or she is learning to avoid them due to beingdisciplined. I suspect the former reason is more likely.

It has been mentioned here on the forum that young rabbits may beexperiencing similar conditions to that of a teething infant human andmay be seeking relief from the aching teeth or gums.

Buck

DG, look into something called lavabytes. I get them at the pet store, but it seems that notall pet stores carry them so I would callfirst. They are triangular in shape. are differentcolors, and come 3 to a package. My male rabbittears into them and grinds them down to nothing. This samerabbit will not touch the yellow piece of wood that also came from thepet shop and was made specifically for chewing. Myfemale rabbit likes them also but she does not seem to have the need tochew like Trouble does. Have you tried the applewood? Both of my buns like to chew apple wood. Hopethis helps in some way. Beckie

Latest posts

Back