chewing!!!!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amberelizabeth

Reaction score
:X

Layla has a TON of things to chew/dig on but it seems when i let her out she'll still chew on anything she can, last night it was my flip flop! this morning it was my gym bag. is this just something that i'm always going to have to deal w/?

by the way she is spayed...about a month ago :D

As her hormones settle it might lessen, but itmight stay a part of her. Rabbits seem to love chewing the things that they think they shouldn't. Maybe try giving her something safe to chew that she wouldn't normally be allowed to, and she will either chew it like made, or not touch it because it's not fun to chew something if it's allowed, lol.

Oh goodness I have this problem bad too! Or rather, my bunny does.

She's a year old and has been spayed for about 6-7 months, but she still chews on everything if given the chance! I can never leave any of my things out where she can reach them and most of my room is blocked with 3 boxes of NICs so I feel like I'm living in a giant pen! But she stills chews on the door, the closet door, the desk, the dresser (which are all wood), the hamper, and the paint off the corner of the wall. She'd also devour in seconds cords, paper, remote buttons, soft plastic, and anything her teeth can penetrate if given access to them. BUT almost ALL her toys - are CHEW toys! A large wicker basket full of wood, seagrass, apple tree sticks, and cardboard toys. A cardboard box full of newspaper. Just stuff to chew all over my room and she will insist on ignoring them for my own possessions.

In her case, it seems this like it's never going to get better. :?

I have neutered and unneutered bunnies that chew we have tried petshop spray deterrants, someone said spray objects with perfume or essential oil that worked for a little while but then they go back to chewing.

Mine chew the plaster on the wall (we have relatively new house so not happy!!!!), corners of my leather couch oh my lord!!! They chew cords, even the bottom of my suede jacket hanging on the back of the chair.

But then some dont chew. I believe its personality. Best of luck if you find a solution id love you to share it.:bunnydance:

thanks! Layla's just so random at chewing. sometimes she'll go crazy chewing, other times she won't touch anything. basically any paper products better watch out!

thanks for the advice guys

Yeah, this is hard to break. I have gotten max to not do this anymore (about 90% of the time).. mainly by using GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract - liquid supplement found in most grocery supplement sections or online like VitaCost.com).. It's safe, but hideously bitter and my bun hated it. Lemon oil or citrus oils work well too..

I put in a spray bottle and for about 2-3 months straight sprayed everything he would try to chew on (every time he was out, which i tried to limit to one room until he stopped chewing to make it easier on me ;)).. and giving him (non sprayed) toys so he'd get the idea of what was ok and what wasn't. Eventually, he lost interest in chewing on things once he realized they would always taste disgusting.. haha. But he of course had to taste-test it nearly every day for two months just to check.. little bugger.

Also, using just a spray bottle with plain water works great too if you catch them in the act.. ( i used to keep a couple of these all around my house for fast access when i caught him being bad.

I don't know about your bun, but since my bun didn't like most typical "bun" toys, but loved cloth and pillows, these became THE BEST detterent toy for him. Now when he wants to chew/dig he goes straight for his pillow or blankie and lets loose.

Hope this helps! :D

Latest posts

Back