Chewing woes...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandieLee

Reaction score
Last night, I let Ozzy out for his run time. Everything was going fine- he was zooming around the living room, hanging out under and on top of the futon. Well, at some point, the boyfriend changed the channel and left the remote facing up on the futon... and Ozzy chewed off one of the buttons. The boyfriend, probably needless to say, was very unhappy. It's not exactly due to the button, but because over the last six years, we've gone through so many chewed cords, blankets that have been chewed to shreds, remote control buttons, carpets, etc. I'm sure you all get the idea because you've probably been there before. Anyway, I explained to him that they're rabbits, and really just don't know better, and that we should be the ones being careful not to leave things lying around that would entice them to chew. Of course, that didn't calm him down in the slightest. I ended up putting Ozzy back in his cage, so it would seem like he was being "punished"... I snuck him some treats though :whistling
I let the bf cool down a bit before talking to him about it, and he wondered whether there is anything that we can do to train them to not chew on things. So, I guess I'm asking if anyone's had success in training their buns not to chew on certain things, like cords, remotes, and the walls?

All of my cords are either out of reach or covered. I agree that it definitely comes down to leaving things you don't want them to have where they can't get at them. One day Watson chewed on my shoelaces. Timmy had never done that and I didn't even realize they'd be a temptation. Now I'm careful to put my shoes away where they can't get them.
Some people have success rubbing white soap bars on things they don't want their buns to chew on which might work for your wall chewing problem although again, your best bet is just to cover it up.
If I catch my rabbits in the act of doing something naughty like chewing on one of my books on the bookshelf, I'll usually clap or make my own human thumping noise to startle them and then redirect them to something they can nibble on.

By now I have definitely learned that ALL cords need to out of the buns' reach. We've gone through way too many for me to not have learned that lesson. I think it's just the little things that we have an issue with now- like leaving remote controls around, or sometimes I'll forget to put my textbooks and homework away, and I'll find one of the little bums chewing away (as a side note, some professor's think it's funny when I come in, hand them a slightly chewed paper and say "Sorry, the bunny ate my homework." Others do not...) Our rabbits haven't discovered our shoelaces yet, lol. Hopefully they never will.
But in regards to the wall and white soap, I've tried that and vinegar without much luck. I guess they like the bitter taste or something? What I was actually thinking of doing, and completely forgot about due to my semester being so hectic, is buying wood from a hardware store and nailing them to the base woodwork of the walls. That way, the bunnies can chew all they want.
What you said about redirecting your rabbits to something they can nibble on makes sense to me. I think my rabbits are bored. They have tons, and I mean TONS, of cardboard to chew on, and they have some little wooden shapes and plastic baby keys to throw around, but maybe they need even more stimulation? Maybe that would also help the chewing issue...

Man, I think this is the most I've written on RO in a long time! :p

Unfortunately, it´s their nature and I don´t know of anyone who´s been able to train a bunny not to chew. You just really have to foresee everything and keep things that they will chew well out of their way. I never had shoes chewed but figured that if I left them about, they would. Wires are all out of the way or covered and I never leave books or important papers around as they´ll be chewed and strewn all over the floor, they have phone books to pull apart if they want to.

I´m currently trying to stop them nibbling the bottom of my china cabinet but nothing´s worked so now I´ve blocked both sides that they like with a seesaw and their willow tunnel and they´ve stopped for the moment. I´ve also had to stuff a box underneath it as they also like to nibble on the surround underneath. They did have a go at the sofa but have left that alone now.

Make sure they have loads of stuff to keep them occupied when they´re out...mine have cardboard boxes, apple twigs, phone bucks, they also spend a lot of time on the spare sofa with the cushions (which they haven´t eaten) and a couple of soft toys. I also have a couple of litter trays with hay in them which they sit and munch at for quite a while.

Give them alternatives and hopefully, they´ll leave the good stuff alone.

unlike dogs, rabbits lack an innate desire to please their owner, making it almost impossible to stop them from doing whatever they want to do when you're not standing over them. denying access to tasty but forbidden chewables is really the only way to go :(

It is possible to train some rabbits to not chew on things. I had one rabbit that would go to chew on something when I first got him, and I would clap loudly and say 'no' and he stopped chewing on things when I let him out. Other rabbits, usually the really stubborn ones, doing that doesn't even phase them. You could also try training with treats, by putting something you know your rabbit will want to chew, right by him. When he goes to chew on it, stop him by saying 'no', clap if you need to to get his attention, and when he stops and looks at you, reward him with a treat. You could also do this with a clicker, for clicker training. Repetition is the key, then after several weeks, when he's really good at it, then you can start skipping the occasional treats and just give a pet, and over time you gradually phase the treats out. Remember to not overdo the treats though, you don't want him getting sick. Maybe use a low sugar treat like bits of carrot, if your rabbit likes them. This may work if your rabbit is very food motivated.

Another idea that might work is when you tell your rabbit 'no' about chewing on something, and he goes ahead and starts chewing on it, usher him back to his cage for a 'timeout'.

I've also had some success with the loud clap method. However, I have found that it is only effective (at least with my rabbits) when I am watching them. They may know what's not allowed, but when the cats away the mice will play.

I disagree, however, with using their cage as a timeout. I don't think it's a good idea to use their sanctuary (cage) as a place of punishment. It may result in them resenting being put in their cage. I know some advocate this, I just have a different opinion on that.

Latest posts

Back