Chewing the walls!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrixieRabbit

Reaction score
:XTrix keeps chewing the walls! Sheactually ATE sheetrock yesterday. The corner edge of the bedroom wallby the closet is now eaten away...she wouldn't stop chewing, so I madea NASTY concoction of white vinegar, lemon juice, and tobasco sauce (2drops) and painted it onto the area she was chewing with a cotton ball.I mean, I SATURATED the wall!
What did she do? She ran right up to it when I wasn't looking and ate even MORE!

My dad said all I did was add seasoning! lololol

Any ideas, besides blocking it off? I tried that and I can't get the closet door open if I do....

Do you have any extra cage grids?Those are great for blocking stuff off. You could put itright along the wall, and maybe attach cardboard so she can't stick hernose through.

I've had pretty good luck using bar soap to deter chewing. Just rub it on.

queenadreena wrote:
Lol, one of my bunnies does this too, though she doesn'tactually eat chunks. I just pick her up and place her in anotherspot.

That's what I WAS doing, originally, but she goes right back to whereshe started. I am going to try the bar soap thing. I feel bad that shehas to learn the hard way, but my walls and my husband will thank me.lol

I can't tell you how many times Bunbun haschewed up the walls...:disgust: Do you guys have any tips onhow to fix the walls, and what to use to make it a wall again? Haha Iknow this isn't a home improvement forum, but if you have any ideas,let me know! Thanks!

kat.

If you have spackle, you can try re-sculptingthe corner of the wall. It make take some effort to match theexact curve of the wall, but it's doable. We had clumsymovers moving the dining room table into the dining room.

I have the same problem. After 1 year my bunniessuddenly decided chewing the wall is their new hobby. The paint is allscrapped off at the bottom by them!

I have my 6 buns housedin Marshallsmall animal pens twisted all around the room into separate "apts" bigenough to house singles and couples..I haveanotheridea that I may never realize but would work if youdidn't mind a home that looked a little odd. The marshall pens whenstretched out could line the walls of rooms as theyfit flat against the walls (if you want) and prevent the bun fromchewing the wall at all. I imagine you may be able to use some gardenfencing from Menards or Home Depot that would be cheaper but may notlay asflat. My idea would be to line all my walls with this.....some of the fencing would go around furniture like a TV andcomputer a so the bun could run the house but not really get behindanything. My rabbits can not free-roam because my husband isfussy about walls, cords furniture etc.. He also would not allow me todo what I just described as it may cost quite a bit and he alreadythinks that I am "going to far " to make the rabbits happy.Someday I still hope tp fix an arrangement like this on one floor ofthe house. Toys and boxes etc. would need to be placed in the rooms forthe buns to have fun with instead of walls, wallpaper drywall etc.Exept for rug chewing I think that it really could rabbit proof aroom although nothing of value could really be placed in thecenter of the room.

i just noticed today that peapoo or petey (notsure who..maybe both) have been chewing the wood trim at the bottom ofour walls!:X...got to get out the soap and vinegar... i kind of thinkits petey since peapoo has never chewed walls before:?

:DInstead of chewingthe wall, my rabbit Toto loves the carpet. He not only chews but eatthe carpet too.. is there anyway to stop him from doing this?

Thumper :bunnydance:is a bit partial to a bit ofcarpet every now and again (in the back room) I gave hime a card boardbox, put itin same spot where hewaschewing. He seems to prefer the box now. He find it fun totry to throw it aswell!

Lis xx

Yeah, distraction techniques like putting a boxto chew on there instead work well. You should also keep aneye on Toto and tell him no, and maybe clap your hands and thump thefloor, when he starts to chew on the carpet. If you need to,squirt him with water. He should learn. Carpet canactually be dangerous when it's eaten, so it's best to do all you canto stop him.

Latest posts

Back