Chewing on Books?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhTisLove

Reaction score
I've been looking through a lot of bunny pictures and noticed that a lot of people give their bunnies phonebooks to chew on and destroy. When out and about in my room, my bunny gravitates towards my book shelf and starts to nibble...so she's definitely interested in them..

But are they safe? What's the reasoning for using a phone book over any old paper back book? Is my bunny going to eat the book, or just shred it?

Help this new bunny mom, please!

The only problem I would see is that an old book may be printed with toxic ink. Modern phonebooks are printed with soy based ink which is non-toxic. It could be totally fine, but I wouldn't risk it, just in case, unless you call the publisher and confirm the type of ink they use.

I use magazines and such, all you have to worry is sometimes the dyes run, but other than that it is safe because most inks are non-toxic

Just remember that glossy paper (like in most magazines, newspaper inserts, etc) are not ok. They contain heavy metals that can be toxic.

Back