Chew sticks..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuddlesMom

Reaction score
Ok i bumped up the chewing thread but nooneanswered my ? :( Is there ANYTHING else i can soak the chew sticks inbesides apple juice??! I have cranberry can i use that if i dilute it?

I wasn't aware you soaked chew sticks inanything. Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea. I don't have anyanswers for you, but I am curious as well.

~M

Just about anyflavoringwill do Isuspect, fruit juice, vegetable,etc. but none of my rabbits have ever paid much attention to flavoredchew sticks. They seem to prefer regular, untreated woodpieces, ortwigs and branches from our trees with the barkstill on it.

Buck

One thing i do is, when my Rabits have eatentheir treat sticks leave the stick in the cage, it will stillhaveflavour and they can chew the wood.

Mine like chair and table legs best. It's so hardto get them to chew the sticks. I'm gonna' try the juice. Or if there'ssome way to flavor them like chair legs...

A wildlife biologist told me to keep the rabbitsaway from chewing on your furniture is to apply a very hot sauce on thedusting rag you use.Spray polish the furniture andwipe down the cloth that has hotsauceonit. It will not harm the wood or the finish.

Tucker has come to love hotsauces. He will lick andlick and lick it off and when there's probably no flavor left, he'llstart chewing the wood again.

Agree withBuck that you can use just aboutanything. Tucker prefers untreated wood or something with akick to it. His favorite part of the wood ispeelingoff the bark.

-Carolyn

Tucker just likes his meals spicy:D.Hope mine don't get any ideas from him! Your suggestion about the hotsauce Carolyn worked so well that my bunnies haven't touched thefurniture in weeks. Now if there was only something to stop them eatingthe walls!! Wood with hot sauce they won't touch but plaster - they seetabasco as a pleasant relishfor it!

Rowan wrote:
Tucker just likes his meals spicy?:D. Hope mine don't get anyideas from him! Your suggestion about the hot sauce Carolyn worked sowell that my bunnies haven't touched the furniture in weeks. Now ifthere was only something to stop them eating the walls!! Wood with hotsauce they won't touch but plaster - they see tabasco as a pleasantrelish?for it!

Really glad to hear it, Rowan!! :dude:

My Polish rabbit loves it Mexican style. Go figure!

-Carolyn

He's just a cosmopolitan :).I notice you say heonly chews the furniture when his hot sauce runs out, sounds like he'smaking a point there :D:p

No matter what, I can't win, Rowan. Whether it's on or off, I still have to have my hand-dandy watergun nearby.

-Carolyn

So to make my bunny chew a stick, I have to put it into apple juice? For how long?
Mine does not like wood for some reason. I gave him an apple stick, hechewed it a little, but then stopped. Also I bought him sticks from thepet store and he would not eat it, if I put it in front of him, he justthrows it away.

It doesn't have to be flavored for them to enjoyit, AnnaS. I didn't think my rabbit cared much for the woodeither, but after leaving it in her cage 24/7, I notice that she's beennibbling away at it. It might take some time, but I'd leaveit in just in case.

-Carolyn

Carolyn: thanks. I think he was more interestedin eating his hidding box. He likes it so much that he spends most ofhis time in there, and became even more scared. I think before he wasbraver. Is it normal? I thought that hidding box would make him braver,but it looks like he is even more cautious and only comes out to eatand go to the washroom.

Hi AnnaS,

He'll come around again.He's still brave, he'sjustloving his own space.

If he chews on the hiding box, that works too.

-Carolyn

Carolyn: my family all suggest that if I take himout of his cage everyday, will make him realize there is nothing to bescared of and he'll get used to being outside. I am not sure thats agood idea. I think it will make him even more scared.
What do you think?

I know when we used to take the rabbits out fortime with them every day, they began to get fearful of us every time weopened the cage. Now we let them out on their own terms, and try tosave picking them up for when we have to.

m.e. I agree. Force never works, even withhumans. Right now I am glad that he does not run away when I open acage and lets me pet him.

Back