Check those teeth! I didn't :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jocelyn31

Reaction score
I wanted to remind everyone to check those teeth on their bunnies TODAY!
Good Sir Buns, has always had a healthy appetite access to fresh veggies hay and timothy pellets, his coat looks nice I check his eyes and ears but never think to check his teeth.
Then by chance today I checked them because his mouth looked a little open, well the poor buggers mouth is stuck a little open because his teeth are overgrown, and he seems to have a an extra tooth that's super thin and looks to me to be painful as heck. My poor boy I have never thought to check them and they must be so sore and painful. So to the vet we go as soon as we can get an appointment.
So check those teeth and avoid this painful discovery in your buns!

I will typically check the front teeth when I trim nails. The buns are in a position where it is easy to check the teeth, so it's only a few extra seconds.

Hope your guy does well.

What do you do if your bunny bites? I've tried on numerous occasions to check my two buns' teeth, but they NEVER trance and are always really angry about being put on their backs for nail trimming, so any fingers that come near their mouths are sure to get chomped. Boyfriend bears many battle scars on his hands. So teethwise, I make do with catching glimpses of their front teeth on occasion when they chew on the cage bars.

hmm I am not sure I have never had a buns that bites. They always trance, thats how I saw good sirs today. I just got lazy I have never owned a bunny with teeth issues and the crazy thing is I own guinea pigs and ALWAYS check their teeth... Sigh. Poor Buns...

You have to keep working with them and get them used to handling, whether or not they like it--remember that you are the alpha and keep them under control--not always easy but must be done or they will make you bloody and miserable. As to checking teeth, the fronts are easy. My elder buns have gotten molar spurs and the way I knew there was a problem was that they were off in their eating--not much hay consumed and little to no interest in treats, so, off to the vet for a trimming. We have one that is almost 15 and she goes in every three months.

When I called around, I found a vet who would do the initial exam and teeth trim for 60$ and then said if he needed it done regularly it would only be 20$

Nice! When we got good Sir fixed a few years back I remember it being only around like 110 with everything included that seems pretty reasonable so we will go back there...

Alpha, schmalpha. Sorry, but even in dog-training that school of thought is (at last!) being discredited.

It's more like, "I'm taking care of you, and this has *got* to be done, Bunny." Not adversarial, but business-like.

If the rabbit is really fractious, why not wear leather gardening gloves for the tooth examination? Put them on first, put the rabbit on your lap, get the teeth over with. Gloves off. Brush brush brush (assuming Bunny likes being brushed; if not, then Pet Pet Pet). We want Bunny to calm down again after the tooth exam.

Then the nails. Then Brush brush brush again, or maybe a small carrot? or a play session with a favorite toy? My guy likes his "hay cylinder": it was originally designed as a hiding place for maybe a hamster. It has a slot in it where I stuff hay into it, then I squirrel away some fresh greens inside the hay, and sometimes a small piece of apple or carrot (or raw pumpkin!).

Overall outline of this approach from the rabbit's point of view:
Bad (teeth exam)
Good (brush/pet)
Bad (nails)
Good (brush/toy/play)

Latest posts

Back