Chase ripped her nail off

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy27

Task Force
Reaction score
Chase was running around and I just put her in her room when I noticed a nail with blood on it laying by the stairs. I checked and she ripped her nail off from one of her front feet. It appears to have scabbed. Not sure how long ago it happened but she had only been out a couple hours. She is still moving around fine. Do I need to do anything? I am worried because I know they can bleed alot from their nails and they can be painful. I looked around and there is no blood on the carpet around where the nail was.

She is going back to the vet on Thursday so I can have them look at it then. Plus cut her nails. I didn't think they were that long. Ugghh can anything else happen to this rabbit.

Thanks guys.

Take a weakened solution of betadine and clean the area where the nail came out with a cottom ball if it looks sore or red

but don't worry about this

it will be fine

Thanks angieluv, I don't have benadine here I can run out and get some if I need to but can I use the styptic powder or triple antibotic like neosporin on it in place of the benadine? Thanks again.

yes that would be fine but the stryptic powder is really only for bleeding

If I accidentally cut a buns nail too short I sometimes hold their little paw under the faucet if i cannot get to the strypic powder quickly
if it looks ok you really don't have to do anything....

Thanks angieluv for helping me calm down. I just freaked me out because I have heard they can bleed to death from their nails.I don't know if that is true or not. But it sure freaked me out. The first thing I thought of was oh my gosh I have to get on RO they will know what to do.

I'm so glad your baby is okay, only thing I want to add is if there is ever a "next time" that you can use flour as well to stop the bleeding, believe it or not.

Glad to hear she's okay!;)

Wow I've never heard of them bleeding to death from a nail, but one bunny at the shelter whose quick I nipped did bleed a TON. I had to change my shirt so as not to scare the potential adopters--the styptic powder just took too long to get on there. As long as it's clean and not bleeding, no worries. Poor Chase and poor you--really don't need this stress!

I have never heard of a rabbit bleeding to death from a cut nail. Eventually it will stop bleeding. If you don't have Styptic powder, you can use flour (As AngelnSnuffy said!) or Corn Starch powder. You can also drag the bleeding nail across a bar of plain soap. And when all else fails, plain pressure on the tip will work too.

But if it stopped bleeding on it's own, it shouldn't be too bad. As long as the nail base wasn't damaged thenailwill grow back. Otherwise, you'll have one less nail to trim.

Back