Charlie is in surgery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juicyjuicee

Reaction score
When i got home today charlie was in his cage acting weird like something was bothering his butt. I have to give him occasional butt baths becuase it gets kind of messy, so i thought maybe it was bothering him. So i gave him a bath, he wasn't really that messy. He started acting weird he was hutched over and would not move at all. Also he hadnt' eaten yesterday or today. He then tried to hop and he was completely off balance and kind of fell. Then i just started crying because i was so worried. I called my mom and she told me to call the vet and i did. We got into the vets 20 minutes later. They examined him then the vet looked at his butt and said..i'll be right back and she came back with these tweezer type things. She examined more and said that charlie had maggots inside his rectum. And explained to my mom and i that they were going to try and remove them and explained that he might not make it, depending on how far up they. I'm absolutely devasted. She said that since he does get a messy bum that the flies just layed eggs and they hatched. I'm just waiting for her to call...

HE MADE IT! HE MADE IT!

The vet just called and she said that we caught it early and he did great and woke up fine. She said there was a sore spot on his stomach that she thinks the maggots might have entered through.

Now weare going to disenfect his cage top to bottom. We pick him up tommorrow and we're going to keep him in a large dog cage since his old one has ramps and levels and we just want him to stay on one floor.

The vet expects a full recovery.

Thank's everyone for your thoughts and prayers!

Yay! Go, Charlie :bunnydance:

We had that happen with a dog once. He got into some thing that gave him mild diareaha, and since he is a collie we couldn't see through the hair that something was wrong. It wasn't until he started acting sick and we started checking him out that we saw what was wrong.

Ooooh, you're an awesome bunny slave!! Attentive and caring. :) You may well have saved Charlie's life, flystrike can be deadlyif not treated very soon!

Here's more info on it:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12865&forum_id=10

Any details you may have about exactly what the vet did to treat it would be great for the knowledge of other members. :)

We're all awfully glad you have rabbits. :bouquet:

sas :)and the gang of fur :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Charlie is home now.

I'm still a little worried. They couldn't get him to eat lastnight. Hopefully he starts today. Everyday i have to wipe his bottom and stomache with water and a mild soap and rub vaseline on it. Then i have to give him medication 2x daily 4cc of SMZ-TMP Suspenion.

He's pretty much a blob in his cage.

The bill was $113. I thought it was going to be $200+
$31 just for the office visit.:shock:.

juicyjuicee wrote:
Charlie is home now.

I'm still a little worried. They couldn't get him to eat lastnight. Hopefully he starts today. Everyday i have to wipe his bottom and stomache with water and a mild soap and rub vaseline on it. Then i have to give him medication 2x daily 4cc of SMZ-TMP Suspenion.

He's pretty much a blob in his cage.

The bill was $113. I thought it was going to be $200+
$31 just for the office visit.:shock:.
Glad Charlie is getting great care from you!

And that's not bad for a vet bill at all! I just took Drizzle in last Thursday and just for walking in the door it was $49 and his meds were $16.

Hopefully he'll start acting like himself soon!

Sending good, happy, healingvibes,
lalena and Drizzle :bunny5

Charlie passed away around 1-2 today.

My mom said when she went to check on him he wans't moving at all and she took him to the vet and they confirmed that he had died. They said that there was something else wrong with him but they didn' tknow what. They didn't tell us that when we picked him up this morning which kind of bothered me, but i doubt there was anything we could have done.

Thanks everyone.

juicyjuicee, I'm so sorry to hear that. My heart sunk when I just read about Charlie :cry2. My condolences to you and your family for losing such a cute and good little bunnyfriend.
Lot's of love to you and best wishes for the future.

:pinkpansy::rainbow::purplepansy:

Awww i'm sorry you lost your little guy:(,i am really just soo sorry:(

goodbye little Charlie:tears2:

cheryl:pinkpansy:

Back