Charlie Bunny & Himi Buck Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyBunny

Reaction score
For those of you who don't know, I have a mini-lop named Charlie Bunny who came from bad circumstances and is very shy and has FOUR holes all the way through his ear. You could shine light or he could wear earrings through them :( My other baby bun is a lilac himalayan who is as of this moment unnamed. He came from a show breeder.

Charlie Bunny is a vienna gened mini lop and as such as blue eyes and 'dutch' coloring, but is not a mix. His blue eyes are very sweet and curious, but he is a little apprehensive about trusting. As of this moment, he is going to get neutered tomorrow morning! He is about 4+ months old. His ears are mostly healed up with a few uninfected scabbed areas left to heal from being bitten and attacked by other rabbits :shock2:

Unnamed himalayan baby buck is outgoing and fun! He is always trying to get out of his cage to come play. He happily hops in and out of his cage and is trying to figure out our wood floors. He has been doing a lot of wipe outs and skittering around (any solutions because I cannot carpet the house? Will he just adjust?) It is is second night with us. He hops in and out of my lap and climbs up on my chest to give bunny nudges. He comes when you yell or make a racket. I assume he will eventually come when called by name, but maybe I'm wrong? He is the epitome of a friendly, puppy rabbit! He's been doing much binkying and tooth purring and head swaying (which I understand is especially prevalent in himalayan rabbits). I have never seen this head swaying in another rabbit before, but he does it when he is very calm and content. Sometimes when I look at him and he is resting, he will begin to sway his head as if having my attention pleases him. He is an attention hog always choosing a snuggle or a pet over a toy or a cord. I am EXTREMELY pleased with him and may become a himi convert. If all my rabbits could be like this, I would be happy.

Tonight I had no-name out of his cage, and I climbed in my bed to lay down to watch him play around in my bunny proofed room. He immediately came to the spot where I am and stood up with his paws on the bed studying, then he walked to the corner of the very TALL bed and scaled it with his claws to get up with me LOL He just wanted to be with me :panic: I've never seen such a friendly bloke!

No-name is quite tolerant of my young daughter quietly enduring clumsy albeit well meaning pets and coming to her when she squeals with excitement. It is hard to imagine a breed better suited for a child. She glows when she sees him out of his cage now because she so enjoys him and he will hop to her and then out of reach and then in reach back and forth sort of playing with her :D SO SWEET!

I wouldn't want anyone to think no-name bunny is making life a hard competition for Charlie Bunny. Charlie viewed (through his cage because I want to 'quarantine' them from one another) me playing with no-name and has since been more relaxed and has been poking his head out like he is thinking about coming out and playing with me :woohoo He was much calmer when I cleaned his cage and did not zip away anxiously like he has been. He is clearly struggling to contain his curiosity about me :waiting: In my opinion, he is either jealous or learning from another bunny how to be friendly. Neither bunny has seen other bunnies outside of their litter, so when they do meet, it should be interesting. At least one of them will be neutered at that point. If I decided to show no-name then I cannot fix him, but they are housed separately. We shall see.

I feel very luck and blessed and our family is richer for these two bunnies :happyrabbit:!

Name suggestions welcome!

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_3472-1.jpg

Your himi sounds really friendly. My sisters daughter had a himi but it was scared of people. I don't think it was handled much by the breeder, so you can probably thank your breeder for a well socialized rabbit. It's always nice to find breeders that really care alot about their rabbits and spend time with them to make sure they are well adjusted and comfortable with people.

I'm not real familiar with himis, but I've had several pink eyed rabbits, and they do the head swaying thing too. With them I think it was more of a poor eyesight thing, and them trying to figure out better what it is they are looking at. That's amazing that he was able to get up on your bed. My rabbits haven't even figured out how to hop up on the couch.

That sounds promising with Charlie. I doesn't seem like jealosy. I would say it's more curiousity and that seeing another bun seems to make him feel safer and more comfortable.

It's not common, but depending on your buns and their personalities, if you end up showing your himi, and don't get him fixed, it still may be possible to bond them. A neighbor of mine had two unneutered male rabbits that lived together, and got along really well. Both rabbits had very calm easygoing personalities. So even though it isn't common, it may be a possibility, if it's something you are interested in trying. If not, they at least may do fine having playtime together. It sounds like your himi could be a good influence with Charlie, and help him come out of his shell more :) But you would have to just keep an eye out for signs of aggression and the possibility they might start fighting.

Last edited:
No kidding about the bed! My husband shouted, 'IT'S BUNNICULA!' No-name scared the heck out of us! He is extremely agile and almost cat like in his ability to climb... I foresee shenanigans on his future :roflmao:

Charlie Bunny is at the vet getting neutered as we speak! I am worried about him and hope he bounces back quickly!

I think we will be naming no-name Bing! His eyes remind me of two perfect little Bing cherries :) Below is Bing chilling on the ledge in his cage.

ed7cd5b675c2d60fd4cea10056e1f5ca.jpg

I'm sure Charlie is doing well, but of course we worry. It's so good he now has a loving home.

Maybe you could teach Bing rabbit agility, especially jumping hurdles.

That is an excellent idea for bing and he seems attentive enough to be interested and would have a desire to please me. I will look into it. At the very least, I see trick training in his future!

Charlie Bunny called me from the vet :D He is well and is coming home tonight !

I was seriously worried about some GI stasis as I had not seen anything since Charlie's surgery, but I had to go out and when I came back I had a surprise waiting for me :D

IMG_7401-1.jpg

He's so neat about his poops LOL He places them very nicely...hopefully Bing learns THAT from Charlie because currently he is throwing them around like a monkey in the zoo! :panic:

It sounds like you might need to invest in some rugs for Bing. I ended up covering almost the entire floor of my room in rugs (the largest is maybe 3 by 5; they're all small enough to fit in my washing machine) and the buns seem to really enjoy the traction. They won't binky anywhere but on their rugs.
I'd agree that it's probably your breeder's socialization you have to thank for such a friendly bunny moreso than the breed.

Bing's a baby still and they are just messy usually. I'm sure he'll get better as he gets older, plus he'll have Charlie's example. When do you think you'll introduce them to each other?

Well, Mr Charlie never really got his hormones a raging. I noticed a few urinary behaviors crop up the last two weeks, but they could be related to a new home. Since Bing isn't a female I COULD do it whenever, but I'd like to quarantine them as much as one can living in the same home with the same caregiver. Perhaps now that I'm saying it out loud I see that it may not be worth doing...maybe after Charlie is fully healed? :rabbithop

Bing is such a cutie, glad you found him a name. Great that Charlie is recovering well and yeeessss we all get excited about poops after a neuter, that´s so a good sign.

Two of mine are big jumpers, on the sofa no problem and the dining room chairs and anywhere else that seems interesting to them.

Maybe it is wise to wait until Charlie´s hormones get back to normal but hope that the bond goes well for you, it´s always nice to have two bunnies sharing space and getting on well together :yes:

Loved reading about your buns and Lauren and Chris and Jenny took the words right outta my mouth. I was laughing too about how there aren't people who get excited about poops like bunny people :)
I would wait until he is healed and make sure hormones have dissipated before attemting a bond. Even though m/m bonds can be more challenging I sure do hope it works out as a bonded pair is such an enjoyable thing.
I'll be watching for more updates! Thanks for sharing!

I introduced the boys in the bath tub today. Bing seemed pretty indifferent about it all and Charlie did until all of a sudden he hopped over to Bing and started humping him like crazy. I had to pry him off of Bing because he was so serious about humping him Bing was going to be crushed. They kind of went in circles as Charlie continued and Bing tried to get away. There didn't seem to be biting or growling. What is the prognosis for the future? How would you move forward with these guys?

I would wait at least a couple more weeks for Charlie's hormones to dissipate more. Having an older rabbit humping a younger one, can sometimes be scary for the younger rabbit, and you don't want them meeting to be a negative experience for Bing. If you don't already have their cages next to each other, then that would be a good next step to help them become more used to each other before you try to put them together again.

Charlie's cage is always open in the hopes that he will decide to come out and play with us. Well today, Mr. Bing decided he wasn't going to wait for Charlie anymore and jumped INTO his cage even though I remove the ramp when he is out. He is just very agile. Charlie kicked his butt out of his cage and Bing just stood outside on his hind legs staring at Charlie. They touched noses and Charlie was more OK with investigating him when he wasn't in his 'crib!' I know it could be more territorial behaviors going on, but if you met Bing, you might think he just wants a friend. He is not OK alone. He NEEDS to be with another living being.

Haha, poor little Bing! He's still in the baby phase, so he still wants to be friends with everyone. He doesn't realize Charlie is in his grumpy teenage phase :(

Latest posts

Back