Changing Pellet brands

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronin Shinobi

Reaction score
The brand I am using now is from the shelter's own mix. Since its a 30 minute drive there I was thinking of getting my pellets from a pets smart or other pet store that was closer to where I live. My question is do I need to have an adjustment period where I'm mixing the new pellets with the old one and slowly phase the shelter food out? Like you would for a Dog or cat. Or can I use the new brand right away with no aliment to Thor?

You should gradually switch. Rabbits do have delicate digestive tracts, so big changes are not good. Some rabbits do better with changes while others need a very gradual change.
If you know what pellets are in the shelter's mix and want to use one of those, then it would be a bit easier than going to a totally different pellet as he would be used to that one.
The general rule is a 25% new and 75% old for the first week, a 50/50 mix the second week and 75% new with 25% old the last week then just the new stuff. If your rabbit does well, or you don't have enough of the old food, then you can go a bit faster.
Keep in mind that rabbits are great manipulators. Since some foods taste better than others, they might only want to eat one kind. You should not give more food until it is all gone. If you normally give pellets twice a day, try only giving them once but give the full amount. This can allow them to eat what they want, but then they have the other stuff until you feed them again.

Thanks, I think i have enough to make the transition according to your advice. However, I have been using a Gravity Bin Rabbit Feeder and not a food dish for Thor. From what your advising and for the books I've been reading on rabbit care I'm going to have to fill it only enough so that he eats whats there and refill it again when I come home from work. Feeding him this way might also encourage him to eat from hay bin more as well. As of right now hes been eating more of pellets than he has the hay I've put out for him.

How big is he and how old? Most rabbits don't do well on free fed pellets because they eat less hay and can become fat. Rabbits getting a diet with veggies only need 1/4c of pellets per 6lbs of body weight. A diet without veggies might be more like 1/2c pellets.

Shelter said he's still young, but I unfortunately don't have an exact age for him. However at a rough guess I would says hes around 2-5 months. Also I don't I have his current weight. But hes still light and lean. Would say 3-6 pounds again on a guess.

Oh ok - if he's that young than free feeding pellets is fine. I would just give him set amounts a couple times a day so you can make sure he's eating - if you just give a huge amount you may not notice if he goes off of his food for some reason.

Thankyou, I'll try that for him. My main concern other than getting right brand now is for him to eat the hay he has in the hay bin and in his cage as he's favoring pellets over the hay. Though he will nibble on it in morning at least so happy to see that.

Latest posts

Back